5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car will die at a light sometimes....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 02:00 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: car will die at a light sometimes....

Check the idle air control motor also, they are a very common problem. You may just need to clean yours or it may need to be replaced.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:04 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

tps could be bad, or need adjusted too. clean the iac and maf and tb. reset the base idle.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Sup3r52man

I have a 94 GT I had the same stalling happen to me. It would start right up in the morning, drive down the road, stop at a red light, stall and would not start. After 2 months of pick and chosing and 2 mechanic suggestions (which were wrong) it turned out to be a failed distributor coil. I replaced mine and havent had the problem since.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:04 PM
91dsslx
1st Gear Member

I was having the same problem. I tried everything, a guy at c&l told me to turn the tube in the mas air around. Mine has the flat side to the front and the slant to the rear. I don't know why be he said that some were intalled backwards. That completely solved my problem. I think that is your problem also.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mblaster890

on another note, my temp gauge jumps around at random, as in it will be in the cold range...and i'll turn the lights on and it will jump to almost hot(cold meaning at the left of the temp gauge, almost hot being past halfway a lil bit) and while driving it will literally bounce back and forth from cold to hot. also, everytime i shut my car off i hear the fan shut off as well. now i have an aftermarket autometer gauge thats not hooked up(the one w/ the 3 wire hookup on the back) but have no idea how to hook it up...

again any help is greatly appreciated
Signs of a ground problem....since this is a '95...check the ground strap attached between the frame and the block in the inner passenger side fender (near the anti-sway bar support, under the battery tray)...it could be disconnected or broken. Suggest to install a second ground strap at another frame-to-engine location....+ run a set of DIY KOEO/KOER self-tests to check what the EEC-IV system has to say. My 2¢.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:23 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

hello,
I have had this problem for a while now. usually dies for me once a year, very randomly. I have a 95 vert gt and its almost like it runs out of gas. I could be sitting there at a light, the r's drop and it dies. I have to let it sit for a couple minutes, pops right off and goes again. It hasnt done it to me in a year or so, but seems to do it when its very hot outside... buy very randomly. I was told it was my TFI module, something about it sits too close to something and was heating up. I had that replaced, but did do it once after that. I was told ccrm, but didnt replace that yet. Somebody said the "stator" (something to do with the distributor) fixed his problem. It seems to happen with the 95's mostly. I know mine seemed like it was out of gas before it stalls. my 95 now has 52000 miles on it, dont drive it much... so chances of it happening are slim. But for a daily driver, I have the feeling it would stall on me more often. I do know my fuel pump hums pretty loud and might just get that replaced. Its one of those problems that will just nickel and dime you death(thats what people have told me) since it never seems to do it when you drop it off at the mechanics. They drove it, ran fine, look at me like im on crack. Good luck and post back here if you figure it out, please...