5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Convertible Top Replacement?

Old 04-03-2006, 11:43 PM
MSU_Aaron
1st Gear Member

Default Convertible Top Replacement?

I'm about to trade for an 88 mustang GT convertible. The car is rough and needs a top put on it. Everyone has told me that putting one on is a real b***h. I was wondering if anyone on here had done it and how hard it was? Also what do good replacement tops cost? I've seen some on ebay for $140 but none in blue like i would need.

Thanks in advance Aaron
Old 04-04-2006, 12:02 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

Default RE: Convertible Top Replacement?

is it just the fabric itself, or the frame as well¿ i recently had my whole top replaced, was going to do it myself, but most people said that i would be better off taking it to a shop. i gave in and did that, paid 500 for a complete install
Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 AM
MSU_Aaron
1st Gear Member

It should be just the fabric. The top has 2-3 quarter size holes in it. $500 is steep for me if i do trade for this car. I was hoping for a "it's not as hard as people make it out to be" response.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:13 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

i would think that it shouldnt be too hard, i never looked into just that part of it, as my whole frame had to come out(that being the case, it might not be so expensive for you). good luck if you do try it on your own.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:18 AM
MSU_Aaron
1st Gear Member

Thanks, this would be my first "car". I've been building 4wd rigs for years and a couple rock crawlers. But i've got the urge to start drag racing on the weekends a little. I've been lurking here for a little while trying to figure out if a 5.0 is the way to go or not and i've decided to trade off my truck to get one. Wont' be a DD so not to bad.

If i get this car i'll probably try it myself just to do it.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

my dad was big on rock crawlers. hes got a 1st gen bronco that has well over 30,000$ into it. me, im more for the speed, so i got the 5.0. if all you are looking for is a track car, then i think you would be very happy with one, as long as you are not afraid to build it up right.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:28 AM
MSU_Aaron
1st Gear Member

Never been afraid of building anything. The one i'm looking at is a conv of course but comes with headers, exhause, and an uninstalled 80 shot of nitrous. Be a good place to start while i build up some more cash. This will also be a street car, not a fan of stuff you can't drive. Also not sure if this is the car to start with since conv are heavier and it's an 88 speed density car. Guess i can always carb it later.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:59 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

I wouldnt suggest doing it yourself. But...if you do...wait for a really hot/sunny day. Or get a couple of heatlamps and prop them up above the car because the top needs to be warm as hell to put on. For pliability reasons of course.

Where the hell did you get off with $500??? I've been lookin everywhere to replace my top and it's gonna run me $650 the best I found.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

i normally try to do everything myself, but this is something to leave to a professional if you want it to look good and seal properly. i helped try to do my buddy's and it was a pain in the *** and looked like ****. some bastard knifed my top and it cost $1200 bucks for a new one + labor but i have a glass window that is worth a couple hundred bucks. but regardless $500 is cheap as hell.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:33 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

had my topped replaced about 3 years ago, ran $800 installed.

have a pro do it. had them come out and do it at my work, looked like a
pain in the a$$.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible Top Replacement?