5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ECM HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:22 PM
74stang2togo

Default RE: ECM AND ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE !!

Also check near the back of the engine, on the passenger side near the back of the upper intake, there are two large electrical connectors there. Make sure both of them are tight, if one of them wiggles loose, it can cause the engine to run like crap and the computer to not respond when trying to pull codes (and in my case, it fried my computer).
Old 04-19-2006, 10:44 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

1. Starter solenoid activation voltage:

I don't know the specific setup (manual or auto tranny) you had installed, but need to check the clutch switch or neutral safety switch portion of the circuit...a problem there, and the solenoid will not get the activation voltage.....use the appropriate wiring diagram for your year/setup from the ones available at http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/, you'll the starting circuit details at the top left corner of the diagrams.

2. ECM self-test activation.....:

Using the same wiring diagram above, you would have to do a voltage and ground check with a DVOM as follows:

* ECM disconnected, Ign Off, check for 12vdc at pin 1(Keep Alive Memory or KAM)...reading should be 12 vdc.
* ECM disconnected, Ign On, check for 12vdc at pins 37 & 57(VPWR)....reading should be 12 vdc.
* ECM disconnected, Ign Off, check resistance to ground at pins 20, 40, 49 & 60...reading should be < 5 ohms.
* ECM connected, check continuity of SIGRTN wire at VIP connector to ground...reading should be < 5 ohms.
* ECM connected, Ign On, check for 5 vdc VREF at TPS, BP/MAP and EVP sensor...reading should be between 4.8 vdc and 5.15 vdc.
-1ST PROBLEM SOLVED !!! REPAIRED WHITE AND PINK WIRE FROM IGNITION SWITCH TO STARTER SOLENOID, THE CAR NOW STARTS WITH THE IGNITION SWITCH AND NO PUSH BUTTON !

-ECM ISSUE

1. 12vdc at pin 1 keep alive IGN OFF ECM DISC

2. 12VDC AT PINS 37, 57,12.0 EVEN VOLTS IGN ON

3. RESISTANCE TO GROUND AT PINS 20, 40, 49 AND 60 ALL SHOWED RESISTANCE TO GROUND .00000 EXCELLENT AND AWESOME GROUND! ECM DISC, IGN OFF

4. SIGN RTN WIRE (AT VIP CONNECONNECTOR UNDER HOOD DRV SIDE GRAY) RESISTANCE TO GROUND .000000 EXCELLENT AND AWESOME

5.ECM CONNECTED IGNITION ON 5.896 VDC VOLTAGE REFF TPS, MAP, AND EVP curous why so high !!!!???????????????????????????

6. ECM CASE TO GROUND RESISTANCE .000000000 EXCELLENT

7. ALL IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUTS EXCELLENT !

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=6 now, for craps and giggles I grounded the mil 17 and my check engine light came on, SO I KNOW IT WORKS.

NOW WHAT I SUSPECT IS THE ECM HAS AN INTERNAL ISSUE BY NOT SENDING POWER TO THAT LIGHT , FLASHING OR ILLUMINATING WHATSOEVER, BY HAVING ALMOST 6VOLTS REFF TO TPS , MAP ETC, AND BY RECIEVING POWER, PROPER GROUNDING AND SUCH.

WHAT COULD OF DONE THIS ????? HMM THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR THAT GAVE ME 18VOLTS BEFORE I BOUGHT A NEW ALTERNATOR,
THE FACT I FOUND A BAD GROUND ON THE FIREWALL, SOME ORNGE GROUND STRAP WIRE NEAR THE FUEL INJECTION / CIRCULAR PIN CONNECTORS 1.8 RESISTANCE TO GROUND, REPAIRED , STILL NO GO LOL?

HMM NEVER KNOW, I BOUGHT THE CAR WITHOUT SUCESS OF GETTING A CODE.

NOW THE QUESTION IS WILL SOMEONE TAKE THIS ECM AND PLUG IT IN THIER CAR TO VERIFY ITS BAD FOR ME OR TEST IT BEFORE I BU A NEW ONE ??? OR SOMETHING THANKS

Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

I went back over all the information you have provided and there are two things that don't match......

ORIGINAL: aode06
The ECM starts by activating relays etc, but will not flash the test light light whatsoever, the test light stays solid lit and yes EVERYTHING IS IN THE EXACT LOCATION AS ABOVE AND STI TO GROUND AND NOT JUMPED.

now, for craps and giggles I grounded the mil 17 and my check engine light came on, SO I KNOW IT WORKS.
....the question would be,.... is the test light connected to battery (+), or ground?......if you have the test light to battery (+), as required, and it stays lit....so should the CEL indicator....if not...

Check wire continuity, Ign Off, ECM disconneted, from the VIP STO terminal to ECM pin 17. It should be less than 5 ohms.

Although VREF normal output is 4-6 vdc..it's on the high side.

If the STO wire test checks out OK....ECM is 10-7.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:47 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

I went back over all the information you have provided and there are two things that don't match......

quote:

The ECM starts by activating relays etc, but will not flash the test light light whatsoever, the test light stays solid lit and yes EVERYTHING IS IN THE EXACT LOCATION AS ABOVE AND STI TO GROUND AND NOT JUMPED.

now, for craps and giggles I grounded the mil 17 and my check engine light came on, SO I KNOW IT WORKS.

....the question would be,.... is the test light connected to battery (+), or ground?......if you have the test light to battery (+), as required, and it stays lit....so should the CEL indicator....if not...

Check wire continuity, Ign Off, ECM disconneted, from the VIP STO terminal to ECM pin 17. It should be less than 5 ohms.

Although VREF normal output is 4-6 vdc..it's on the high side.

If the STO wire test checks out OK....ECM is 10-7.

OK , ALL IM SAYING, IS THAT ALL THE WIRING TO THE ECM PASSED WITH MORE THAN FLYING COLORS, SO NOW IM GONNA TEST THE THE SELF TEST OUTPUT NEGATIVE WIRE ON THE VIP CONNECTOR(its beginning) MAKE SURE IT HAS NO MORE THAN.5 ohms to its pin 17 at ECM, (its end).

But still, the check engine light should be illuminated, with the key on right? and flash when doing the test?? i hope its just that wire, but doubt that
Old 04-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

OK , ALL IM SAYING, IS THAT ALL THE WIRING TO THE ECM PASSED WITH MORE THAN FLYING COLORS, SO NOW IM GONNA TEST THE THE SELF TEST OUTPUT NEGATIVE WIRE ON THE VIP CONNECTOR(its beginning) MAKE SURE IT HAS NO MORE THAN.5 ohms to its pin 17 at ECM, (its end).

But still, the check engine light should be illuminated, with the key on right? and flash when doing the test?? i hope its just that wire, but doubt that
Regarding the CEL indicator issue...my point is that you're getting two different results from similar components within a circuit at different locations, meaning that both (CEL and test light used) should have the same behavior....not one stayin lit and the other off.

The test light has a 12 vdc feed from battery (+)....the CEL has a similar 12 vdc feed when key is in the Ign On position (same condition/setup as the test light)....when you activate self-test, both lights should react the same way.....which is not what's observed.....why?...

Yes...the CEL should illuminate and flash while in self-test....again the question is, why doesn't it, but a test light connected to the circuit wire at the other end does....[sm=smiley25.gif]

Old 04-20-2006, 07:27 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Regarding the CEL indicator issue...my point is that you're getting two different results from similar components within a circuit at different locations, meaning that both (CEL and test light used) should have the same behavior....not one stayin lit and the other off.

The test light has a 12 vdc feed from battery (+)....the CEL has a similar 12 vdc feed when key is in the Ign On position (same condition/setup as the test light)....when you activate self-test, both lights should react the same way.....which is not what's observed.....why?...

Yes...the CEL should illuminate and flash while in self-test....again the question is, why doesn't it, but a test light connected to the circuit wire at the other end does....
because when using my test light to check rather the ecm is sending the ground pulse to flash cel and or my light, I noticed the very nip of the long test light was touching the top strut tower nut by mistake, lighting my check engine light then , by giving that ground.

but not the ecm itself doing so.

ill check resistance from that connector wire to pin 17 as well to verify resistance < 5 and get back with you , its pourrng down rain.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

tested the connection, to pin 17 ON THE HARNESS

.00000 = excellent EVEN WIGGLED THE HARNESS AND WIRE. NO CHANGE

so ecm is giving no output, but recieving voltage.

Now, the computer is a A9P

E9ZF-12A650-C2A

AND I SEE THE REPLACEMENT OF NUMBER BEING E9ZF-CA NOW IM ASSUMING THESE ARE THE SAME? BECAUSE ALL OPTIONS OUT THERE, THIS IS THE ONLY NUMBER CLOSE(FOR NEW PART)

My car is a 1990 Ford Mustang GT
5.0 AUTOMATIC What are my options?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Yep...same part number, the only difference is that a C2A has gone through more revisions than a CA. Options?...your call...I do suggest going with a remanufactured unit...for their warranty....
Old 04-21-2006, 10:33 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

CAN I USE THE 5 SPEED COMPUTER WITH MY AOD AUTO ? I HEARD YOU GET MORE POWER. IF SO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE? AND WHAT PROBLEMS MIGHT I HAVE?

IF I CANT WHICH IS THE BEST COMPUTER PART NUMBER TO BUY? THE CA?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Check at all the reman units available, they also include the OEM #'s they replace/support (manual tranny setups included). Load tables between the auto and manual tranny ECM do change...benefits in performance?....would rather replace the one you have with the correct replacement and consider the option of a tuned chip instead....My 2ยข.

Quick Reply: ECM HELP NEEDED