5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stupid question, but important

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:16 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default stupid question, but important

ok i just need to buy plugs and valve cover gaskets and this thing is running this weekend.

stupid question maybe, but i need to ask:

what spark plug should i be running on my motor and what gap approx?

quick run down on the motor:

stock bottom end 5.0, GT40p's, comp cam, Edelbrock rpm/airgap, quik fuel 650 carb, crane hi-6fireball ignition box with lx92 coil, msd pro billit distributor etc etc.

i dont know if since i have a good high output ignition if theirs a certain plug i should be running over like a motorcraft or something.

would apreciate quick responses as i probly will be in bed in the next hour and wont be able to check this till after i go to the parts store after work!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:20 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: stupid question, but important

autolite 25s gapped at .054
Old 05-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Get the Fel-Pro perma dry valve cover gaskets. They are one of the best.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:29 AM
COMPMACH
3rd Gear Member

The factory steel and rubber valve cover gaskets from ford work great,I reused the stk ones on my 95gt with 132,000 miles on them and no leaks.just my .02
Old 05-04-2006, 12:41 AM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

fel-pro 1/4 inch cork valve cover gaskets. Great gasket, but wont work on valve covers with lips
Old 05-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RawGtPower

fel-pro 1/4 inch cork valve cover gaskets. Great gasket, but wont work on valve covers with lips
Cork? Cork is junk. Don't ever use a cork gasket, they're cheaper, but leak all the time. Get silicone gaskets.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:28 AM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

mine works great. No problems.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:04 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

first of all, he didnt ask about gaskets.

second, everyone knows you should make your own gaskets out of superglue and silicon.

actually, when it comes to valve covers and such, i just use GMS. if you dont know what that is, its basically silicon that general motors recommends using on Duramax motors. that stuff will seal anything. just take a little brake clean and spray it and wipe it with a clean rag, run a razor blade over it real quick then spray and wipe again. seals it right up

if you cant get GMS you can try to find this stuff at the parts store called "The Right Stuff" its like my superglue/silicon mix i was talkin about. Thats what the military uses on their humvees. its good stuff, but dont plan on disassembling it soon after you seal it.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:10 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater

first of all, he didnt ask about gaskets.

second, everyone knows you should make your own gaskets out of superglue and silicon.

actually, when it comes to valve covers and such, i just use GMS. if you dont know what that is, its basically silicon that general motors recommends using on Duramax motors. that stuff will seal anything. just take a little brake clean and spray it and wipe it with a clean rag, run a razor blade over it real quick then spray and wipe again. seals it right up

if you cant get GMS you can try to find this stuff at the parts store called "The Right Stuff" its like my superglue/silicon mix i was talkin about. Thats what the military uses on their humvees. its good stuff, but dont plan on disassembling it soon after you seal it.

The Right stuff is THE ****, best stuff I've ever used. Only thing is it's messy, and on a motor like mine, I don't want none of the junk comin out beneath my covers when i tighten 'em down.

Use Accel plugs.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:15 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

dude if you get the cool *** gun with it, its not near as messy. we had this 96 f-250 that needed a rear main seal. this truck had been into our highschool autotech 4 times, and each time someone different would work on it and they could never get it to quit leaking. so me and my buddy put the seal in and put some of the right stuff around it. never leaked again. that sold me on that stuff.

Quick Reply: stupid question, but important