5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

OverHeating

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 05:29 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: OverHeating

after work on the coolant system an air pocket may be trapped near the temp sensor. this will cause a high temp reading but the thermostat isnt that hot yet so its not open. sometimes you will need to let the car run for at least 20-30 min before T-stat opens and lets the air out. my favorite way to bleed a system is to drive the car. fill the system, go for a 15 min drive and swerve car back and forth and accelerate hard and stop fast a few times each. then check reservoir. if it needs coolant add it snd repeat the drive cycle untill coolant maintains propper level. now i see you said the car overheated and blew a hose? did it overheat? was the temp to hot before the hose blew? if you had an overheating problem before the hose blew then you will need to find that problem.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:31 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

that would be my favorite way too if i had an engine like that ^
Old 05-13-2006, 05:36 PM
TedMan

driving home, there was some smoke coming from the rightside wheel wheel, but this was after drving for like 20 minutes already. on a highway so you could only see the smoke when you slowed down a lot. opened the hood and noticed the hose was split and squirting all of the exhaust. so filled up the tank and drove the lat mile home real easy and stopped and turn the car off a couple of times. got it home changed the heater hoses and now am filling the tank up but i dont have enough coolant, so i will just finish off the job tomorrow.

What else could be wrong? and i do plan on doing the thermostat tomorrow too

Thanks
Ted
Old 05-13-2006, 05:44 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

i dont think anything is wrong... just bleed it correctly tomarrow after the t-stat.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:47 PM
TedMan

deal thanks agian for all you help guys. and whoever first thought of doing forums is a genius.

Ted
Old 05-13-2006, 06:18 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

NEVER turn your car off if it's over heating. You're just asking for a broken valve or bent rod. Throw a hose in the radiator.

Check for leaks EVERYWHERE. Hoses, seals, waterpump, heatercore, look for rust on the radiator, replace therostat. Anything dude. The heater and coolant system of the mustang is purrrty tempermental.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

You guys all bleed the system really oddly.... All you do is take off the rad cap and let the car run until all the air's out. No hill, no jacking the car up no nothing. Just off with the rad cap, start it, grab a bag of chips and a lawn chair, maybe a beer or seven and wait. Takes like 5 minutes.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:54 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

How about when you fill the car with antifreeze, disconnect the coolant hose from the throttle body then fill. That is thr highest point on the motor and will let almost all of the air out. I hardly have to burp mine when I do it that way. Just my opinion...not that it matters, just couldn't help myself....
Old 05-13-2006, 06:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

How about when you fill the car with antifreeze, disconnect the coolant hose from the throttle body then fill. That is thr highest point on the motor and will let almost all of the air out. I hardly have to burp mine when I do it that way. Just my opinion...not that it matters, just couldn't help myself....
good idea... too bd it wont work on SN's [:'(]
Old 05-14-2006, 02:44 PM
TedMan

when my dad bought the thermostat the guy sold him a gasket and gasket sealer. should i use both, i was just going to use the gasket?

Thanks
Ted

Quick Reply: OverHeating