5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Have a laugh on me! Drag questions....

Old 05-14-2006, 02:22 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Have a laugh on me! Drag questions....

id say go up and just watch.... now that you know whats going on you can see what everyone else is doing.... it helps
Old 05-14-2006, 05:35 AM
TwoLaneBlackTop

Nice, like dude said earlier leave on last yellow. If your point intended to not **** anyone off the first couple of times its impossible. If your car is stock you have an advantage because all you have to do is floor it every time and you have a better chance of winning. I love drag racing. every been to a nhra event? ***** to the wall fun.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36493/E60D23CBC6994DC086CE2EEB70A6ED2B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36493/5A8DCF5EEBE64ACCB764C2BB5D0DAEB8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36493/CCA6BB664D5A4EFE877EBBBE91047F80.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-14-2006, 10:35 AM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Here you go, print this off and you will have a good idea and something to refer to if you come up against anything that may give you doubts. If you make your experience a good one you will want to go back to the track for more 1/4 mile or 1/8th mile fun.

1-you need a snell approved helmet, possibly a snell 95. Call track they will let you know.
2-when you get there they will tech your car to make sure it is safe along with the helmet.
3-watch a few runs from right up at the start line.
4-Tell the track officials when you get up to top of staging lanes you are new and they will help you through it.
5-Before you pull up to the staging area, if you are running street tires go around the water box and keep the tires dry because heating those hides won't help you any.
6-roll up gently and slowly to the first "prestage beam" the two double bulbs will light.
7-Now you wait until your opponent lights the prestage lights as well, this is called a courtesy stage.
8-Now you can roll up ever so slightly to light the "Stage" lights. You or your opponent may go first on this one.
9-Time to get on your horse as I call it and be ready! When both prestage and stage lights are on for both lanes the tree will start down.
10- If you are bracket racing you will have a .500 tree and the three large yellow bulbs will light going downward one at a time. When the third Yellow comes on Hammer the throttle and ride it out down the track! You want to leave as soon as the third yellow comes on. It will give you the best reaction time. The closer to .500 the better, .499 or quicker and you light the dreaded red bulb. Also get some time trials in and look at your times and get somone to help you pick a dial in. Have some Geddex dial in too so you can place your dial time on the right upper corner of the windshield, the drivers side window and the left upper corner of the back window to prevent being disqualified.(one day at the track a guy pitted next to me was DQ'd because his kid wiped the back window clean thinking he was helping) If traction is an issue and you spin ease into the throttle next time.
11-After you cross the finishline, back off the loud pedal, slow the car down and swing onto the return road to get your time slip but always be aware of your opponents whereabouts so you don't both go into the same place at the same time.
12-If the car gets loose and starts to drift around(most likely near the start,first 300 ft.) lift and gently correct the car. Saving yourself or the car is more important than a good time slip or a win.
13-If you can, go early and keep these pointers in mind while you observe the other drivers do their thing. Watch what they do at the starting line and at the Big end of the track so you know where and how to turn onto the return road.

My recommendation when you do go to the track, go as early as possible. Be there right when the gates open. The sooner you get teched, the sooner you hit the track and can get more runs in before it gets real busy. The staff also has more time to assist you in answering any questions you may have.