5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Have a laugh on me! Drag questions....

Old 05-14-2006, 01:50 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

Default Have a laugh on me! Drag questions....

I've never offically 'dragged' before. I live fairly close to a drag strip, 20 minutes. (l'l be shocked if anyone's heard of it!!!). Even though my new purchase has many miles, I was thinking bout giving her a run. However, I have no idea on what needs to be done!

Does anyone know of a site with good (basic) explanations on how to drag? I've went to this track a few times and i'm just not sure how to go about getting started.

Class? (I assume stock, but they don't label it that way), 'Tech in"???, hand signals the track crew gives when you pull up?. Some of this stuff is basic, I just don't wanna be to the a assh*le new guy when and if I do it.

Does anyone know any websites that talk you through drag racing (not technical sites, basic sites)???

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:53 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Have a laugh on me! Drag questions....

just go be the ******* that stages too deep and pisses off the guy standing out there with his tumb up his ***. i do it all the time..usually on purpose.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:55 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Pull up and stage, leave on the last yellow, drop the hammer @ red line w/ some d/r's. That should do it.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:58 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man. However, I probably would be screwing up....just don't wanna **** anyone off. I just looked at my original post and I forgot to mention........ it's Numidia, Pa.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:02 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

haha i drifted back my first time and the guy was like u have to hold the brake. i put my window down and was like no **** u wanna drive *** hole.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:07 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

basically, when you get to the track, ask where the tech area is

once in tech, you usually have to fill out a card that you can get at the tech stand
once your card is filled out, pop your hood so the inspector can make sure everything is ok
your class will more then liekly be ET (street) or TT for time trial, the tech inspector will mark your car for you with the holy shoe polish!
when your class is called you will go to the stanging lanes
when its your turn to pull up to the light, roll up slowly until the track hand tells you to stop.. they will usually line you up in the bleach box (where you get your tires wet)
do a quick shirp to get them wet all the way around, then slowly creep up some more.
when the track hand tells you to stop you sit there until he gives you the "light em up" signal
burn off your back tires(my favorite part)
then you will start to line up... my suggestion to you is to wait until the other racer has pre-staged.... this will give you an idea of how far to pull up
pull forward until the top two lights on the tree are lit, once you are both pre-staged one of you will stage... either or.. simply put, roll up a little more until the second pair of lights go yellow
as the lights come down you will se 3 yellow lights... when the third yellow light turns on, drop the clutch and go for it... you will have to work on learning the light.. so dont be sad when you pull a 1.5 second R/t

after you cross the 1/4 line.. keep up your speed till the end of the track, as there will be peole behind you too

turn around at the end of the track and head to the time slip shack

pick up your slip and see how you did
Old 05-14-2006, 02:09 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tcwc

I've never offically 'dragged' before. I live fairly close to a drag strip, 20 minutes. (l'l be shocked if anyone's heard of it!!!). Even though my new purchase has many miles, I was thinking bout giving her a run. However, I have no idea on what needs to be done!

Does anyone know of a site with good (basic) explanations on how to drag? I've went to this track a few times and i'm just not sure how to go about getting started.

Class? (I assume stock, but they don't label it that way), 'Tech in"???, hand signals the track crew gives when you pull up?. Some of this stuff is basic, I just don't wanna be to the a assh*le new guy when and if I do it.

Does anyone know any websites that talk you through drag racing (not technical sites, basic sites)???

Thanks for any help.
Don't worry about reaction time the first few times out and don't smoke the tires. Walk the car out and leave on the last yellow and let the car do the rest on the launch, shift at 5500rpm if that '86 has stock heads and see how she does. If it feels strong at 5500rpm then hang it out a bit more the next time and then finally DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH THE WATER BOX!!!!! Unless you have skinnies up front and slicks in back drive around the water box and do a few dry hops, then line it up and walk it out. You'll do fine.

Here it is, the basics.... NHRA basics to drag racing
Old 05-14-2006, 02:11 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Having skinnies on the front has no bearing on driving through the water box.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:15 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

BLEACH BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i usually just back into it
Old 05-14-2006, 02:21 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to pay attention. Maybe this coming Fri night. Need to go buy a helmut.....track rule (need a blah, blah, helmut). I agree with that. I might give it a try!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have a laugh on me! Drag questions....