Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-21-2006, 02:43 AM   #1
TheDrivah415

Default gas gauge/needle not working

My gas needle doesnt work, the needle is always below "E" and so I never know how much gas I have left. I have never seen the gauge work in the couple of months i have had the car and so I have no idea what is wrong with it. All I know is that for a while it would give a reading while the car was off (and I don't even know if that reading was real, but the needle moved), Anyways, now the needle is stuck under "E" and it never moves. Can anyone please tell me what I got to get/do to fix the gas gauge.. Thank you in advance.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
TheDrivah415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:33 AM   #2
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

Send a message via AIM to lookinforastang
Default RE: gas gauge/needle not working

mine always reads 1/4 full when off even if there is a full tank or less than 1/4 in the tank.

as for the gauge. mine was messed up when i first got my car. guy said not to fill it up cause the gauge will read messed up.

well i didnt fill it up but i put $20 in (like 7 gallons) and it read full. i go hmm ok maybe the guy was right. a few days passed and i noticed the gauge was reading correctly.

the sending unit is infamous for breaking. mines been on its way out ever since i got the car. best thing to do is just measure how much gas in it and use the trip odometer.

if u dont know how much gas in it either just run it till it dies or break the lazy chain and drop the tank, replace the unit
lookinforastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
91 5.0lx aod

my gas gauge would only go up to just below half even after filling it. i thought the problem was in my tank. i also had a problem with my speedo. it would spin wildly so i disconnected it. i just bought a new instrument cluster off of ebay from ampperformance in az for $56 and now my fuel gauge works perfect and my speedo works perfect. my problem was in the dash
91 5.0lx aod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

mine did the same, it turned out to be the connector on the back of the cluster was loose.

88stangaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:53 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, 91, empty, filling, fix, gas, gauge, gauges, moves, mustang, needle, stopped, stuck, working, wrong