5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Anyone have a G-Force T5 tansmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:56 PM
hrd2bslw
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone have a G-Force T5 tansmission?

I was looking into getting one of G-Force's T5 transmission. I know the options are the helical-cut/syncronized one and the other is the stright-cut/dogtooth. What is the difference in drivability? My car is a daily driver so I dont want anything that is hard to drive. Which one would you guy recommend I get. I haven't heard much about these trannys so help me out.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
WLingle92lx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone have a G-Force T5 tansmission?

You might want to get the helical-cut/syncronized one. That will be totaly streetable and will shift no different than a stock T5. I have the straight-cut/dogring one in my car and it shifts alot different than the syncronized one. Its a complete crashbox. The gears are really noisy and clunky. The slower you shift it, the more clunky it shifts. But when you hammer down and powershift it it falls right into gear like butter.

Go with the helical/syncro one. This will be very quiet, will shift easy on the street and will handle all the power you can throw at it!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:47 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

I agree with WLingle92lx. I have the Promotion staightcut facetooth/dog ring T 5. It is a tranny that needs to be finessed when you down shift it but man is it strong. If you have a set up that goes beyond 6500 rpm shift points you may want to go with the face tooth as you will exceed the limit of the sychronized tranny. (it is hard on the sychros and they will fail when shifted at high rpm) The helical dog ring tranny is stronger that the straight cut and I am in the middle of upgrading mine right now. If you have a high rpm set up go helical dog ring T-5 or if not the 450 hp synchroed T-5 from G force or Promotion is a very sweet tranny to run. I believe you can get that tranny for $799.00 from Promotion Performance Powertrain. They also install a plate that strengthens the case that you may wish to inquire about.
ORIGINAL: WLingle92lx

You might want to get the helical-cut/syncronized one. That will be totaly streetable and will shift no different than a stock T5. I have the straight-cut/dogring one in my car and it shifts alot different than the syncronized one. Its a complete crashbox. The gears are really noisy and clunky. The slower you shift it, the more clunky it shifts. But when you hammer down and powershift it it falls right into gear like butter.

Go with the helical/syncro one. This will be very quiet, will shift easy on the street and will handle all the power you can throw at it!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:01 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Not trying to steal the thread...but i was wondering about something liek this also. If im about to drop a 650ish hp engine in my stang. Which one of those selections would be the best?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:50 PM
WLingle92lx
3rd Gear Member

The G-Force T5 is without a dought the strongest T5 on the planet.

I know a guy that makes 550 RWHP in a 3000lb car, and runs 9.9's all night long pulling 1.3 60 foots with the G-Force T5. He been running that same tranny in 2 different cars for 3 years now without doing nothing to it. Go with the G-Force You won't regret it!