5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bring this 89 gt convert back to life

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Dagan

Default bring this 89 gt convert back to life

I Really love my 89 gt convertible but I think its time to upgrade and make this vehicle come alive again.

I just recently removed a 351 from a FedEx truck, the block and tran was bran new.

My question is something that many wondered at one point, that is where to start….
I am going to redo the entire car and by redoing I mean everything from ground effects to paint to new top to interior to painting or polishing everything on this car. O ya and trying to drop this 351 in.

I’m a novice doing this type of work, I mostly help remove motors and work along side my brothers. luckily my two brothers who are mechanics are willing to help.

I would like to drop a blower on this puppy just because I feel this would produce some sick horsepower and look nasty at the same time, but was wondering what you guys thought and what you all might do if you could start where I’m at now.

I know it is more cost effective to drop the 351 in and carb it and I like that because it will allow me to do other things with my budget, but I would like to know more about it and what things I should do to make this car bada@@.

Basically I would like to know whats the best bang for the buck?

Thanks for your help.

Dan
Virginia
Old 05-24-2006, 12:22 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: bring this 89 gt convert back to life

cut a big hole in the stock hood and get a roots blower with two holleys sittin on it...and a butterfly catcher
Old 05-24-2006, 12:26 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

like this!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:28 AM
ooticamitica
4th Gear Member

thats sic :-D
Old 05-24-2006, 01:29 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Mad Max style "its the blower man the blower"

ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater

like this!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:40 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

I would start with the chasis, then do the engine and trans, then brakes and wheels.

My 2 cents on what you need:

engine: 351w, put some TwistedWedge heads on and carb and your good for 400-425hp., with a TFS stage 1 cam
or Ford "E" or "F" cam you wont have any valve clearance problems with those heads, slap kennebell blower on later and BAM 500rwhp
Fuel injection is easy, just use stock 5.0 computer with new chip and 5.8L lower intake manifold from edlebrock, trickflow, or GT-40 off Lightning truck.

interior: put in the sn95 style dash and center console, looks super cool

Chasis: MaximumMotorSports Road & Track grip package with 3 link torque arm
'93 cobra full disk brake conversion, 17-18" wheels, 3.73 gears, upgraded trans ( t-56 6-speed is best but cost about $3,000 )

Links:
www.50resto.com
http://www.fast351.com/tech/351w.htm
http://www.mspmall.com/ddautospec/swapkits.html
http://www.mustangworks.com/articles...n/351swap.html
www.maximummotorsports.com
www.ddperformance.com

ORIGINAL: Dagan

I Really love my 89 gt convertible but I think its time to upgrade and make this vehicle come alive again.

I just recently removed a 351 from a FedEx truck, the block and tran was bran new.

My question is something that many wondered at one point, that is where to start….
I am going to redo the entire car and by redoing I mean everything from ground effects to paint to new top to interior to painting or polishing everything on this car. O ya and trying to drop this 351 in.

I’m a novice doing this type of work, I mostly help remove motors and work along side my brothers. luckily my two brothers who are mechanics are willing to help.

I would like to drop a blower on this puppy just because I feel this would produce some sick horsepower and look nasty at the same time, but was wondering what you guys thought and what you all might do if you could start where I’m at now.

I know it is more cost effective to drop the 351 in and carb it and I like that because it will allow me to do other things with my budget, but I would like to know more about it and what things I should do to make this car bada@@.

Basically I would like to know whats the best bang for the buck?

Thanks for your help.

Dan
Virginia
Old 05-24-2006, 02:06 AM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

that dash is sick! how hard is that swap?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:43 AM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

Yeah no sh*%, where are some links for the dash swap? ive been hearing about it for awhile but just now saw my first pic...sorry had to ask.

About the vert though, nix the cobra disc brakes, Brembo now makes a brake kit, just get the 5 lug axles and SN95 spindles/rotors. Also, I know people are going to disagree with me, BUT, i think its procharger makes a kit for an "under the hood" supercharger like the ones for EFI for a carbed aplication.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:43 AM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

ya id like to know too[8D]

ORIGINAL: jonnyslick

that dash is sick! how hard is that swap?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Dagan

Thanks so far and that is a nice dash set up,

? tho staying efi all i need is bigger injectors say 24lb and cpu chip maybe to help out. Ive read most the articles you have pasted and would like to know if I stay efi can I go Trickflow all the way(lower upper intake),and stay with the original rods and cam, or will the motor have a hard time with stock parts?

70MM mass intake? yes no.

Ok another darn question since we went into the dash thing LOL. If you had a 351 ready to be transplanted in your 89 gt what type of set up would you go with ?
motor setup
transmission
rearend
brakes

Quick Reply: bring this 89 gt convert back to life