5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Well, crap......

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:45 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default Well, crap......

Okay, so I got everything hooked up and grounded correctly, or so I thought. As soon as the + cable touches the battery, the motor starts to turn over....

This is a 90 5.0, btw. I upgraded to a 3g alternator and a mini starter. On the alternator, I ran the regulator cable to the plug on the voltage regulator. I cut the other wires by the plug--wired the 2 blk/org ones to the stud on the back along w/ a 4 gauge wire that I ran to the right side of the starter solenoid. the white wire I ran to the stator terminal.

On the mini starter, I moved the main cable from the right side of the starter solenoid to the left and ran a 10awg wire [along side the main cable] from the right side of the solenoid to the starter. On the starter, there are 3 studs. 2 are larger than the other...one is grounded to the casing, I think. Originally, I ran the main starter cable to the smaller terminal and the 10 gauge cable to the large terminal. When I tried to connect the battery the first time and it tried to start, I thought I might have the cables flip-flopped on the starter, so I put the main cable on the large terminal and the 10 gauge on the small terminal, but it still does the same thing.

Do I not have it grounded correctly? ...could bad ground cause that? I ran the negative battery cable to a head bolt and from there to the chassis....

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 05-27-2006, 01:34 PM
ddeaton66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Well, crap......

If it starts to crank as soon as you connect the batt cables then it is most likely you have power to the wring side of the starter solenoid or an always hot wire to the solenoid activation circuit
Old 05-27-2006, 01:43 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Well, crap......

Okay, so to which side of the solenoid does the positive battery cable connect? I have it on the post on the side closer to the firewall....