5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Heater Core

Old 05-27-2006, 11:10 PM
83FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

Default Heater Core

My 83 GT is blowing smoke/steam into the cab of the vehicle. My last stang leaked onto the floor. I heard that the slight smoke coming in is a cause of the heater core going out? Anyone have experience on changing these out in the earlier fox bodies? Where should I buy one, if not the junkyard, and do I need to worry about the coolant when removing/installing?

Thanks

83FoxBody
Old 05-28-2006, 02:21 AM
sgt_pepper17
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Heater Core

Oh man.. I posted this like 5 months ago man... let me tell ya. This job is either the easiest or the hardest job you'll ever do depending totally on whether your car is an A/C car or not.

If it is... you have to pretty much unbolt the dash completely, move it out about 6 inches and then pull down the heater box and then pull the core. It's a pain in the a$$.

If you have a non-A/C car then all you do is pull the glove box. There are 3 screws under the dash where the glove box hinge is. Remove them and the glove box will come out. Then there is a small bar that is bolted down in front of a cover that is bolted to the heater box. Remove the bar. I think there's a 9/16 nut that holds it on the top and a 1/2 inch bolt on the bottom can't remember for sure though. Then you need to get out a nut driver and remove the 6 or 7 little screws holding the inspection cover on. The inspection cover is about the size of a VHS tape, which is also, obviously about the size of your heater core. Pull the plate off and the heater core will be staring you in the face. Now... go under the hood and disconnect the heater lines from your heater core. These are the black hoses going to your firewall. Remove them and then kink them off so as not to leak coolant. Next, push the core through the firewall. When it starts to poke out on the dash side, pull it out from inside the car. There is a black foam around the core... DO NOT DESTROY THIS!!! This is what seals the core inside the heater box so that you get all your air flowing through it. It also keeps it from banging around in there. Take the seal off and put it on your new or rebuilt core you can buy at Autozone or O'Reilly's or where ever. Then gently install it. Reconnect the hoses and run the vehicle... DO NOT FORGET TO TOP OFF YOUR ANTIFREEZE!!

I put a core in my Blazer back in 2000 and it worked for the rest of the time I owned the vehicle... and it's still going from what I've heard. It was a rebuilt one from Autozone. The core I put in my '84 GT was from O'Reilly's. I believe it was 10 bones. Can't beat that hu?
Old 05-28-2006, 02:54 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

definately DO NOT put a used heater core in there. get a new one, they're $50 at any auto parts store.

I just got quoted $800 to replace mine, lots of people just bypass them at the firewall.
Mines leaking right now too and dont what way I'm going to go, probably just by-pass since I live on gulf coast.

do a search on here, there are some good links on how to change it out.
pain in the but of a job, that requires dash to partially removed.

most of the time the high quotes you get from mechanic is cause they have to discharge the
old R-12 A/C and that alone is about $150

and yes this is a common problem, cars are just getting old, this stuff is to be expected.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:50 AM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

Mine went out in the dead of winter. No heat...wet windows and SNOW! Man that sucked! Yea mine got to the point that it would blow steam out from underneath my dash. My carpet is permanently orange from my antifreeze. Got 'er done though! It was a bitch to do. Took all day. I suggest doing it. You'll learn a little about your car in the process.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:27 AM
sgt_pepper17
2nd Gear Member

Dude... do you know what you're saying.... the only way they'ld have to dispose of the R12 is if they have to pull the A/C condenser... if it's non A/C or if it is and the A/C is crap (which is just as likely) then there's no worrying about it. A used one is just fine... and 1/5th the cost.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:47 PM
83FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

Either way, $50 for a new one is not bad. I will probably go this route. Now if it would quit raining!
Old 05-28-2006, 07:24 PM
12Pack
2nd Gear Member

you dont need that ****, yank it all out!
Old 05-29-2006, 01:04 AM
sgt_pepper17
2nd Gear Member

IDK dude, I'm not made of money... for a heater core that's that easy to replace... I'ld just buy a used one, and spend the extra 40 on something worth while... like maybe towards a cam or intake.....
Old 05-29-2006, 01:11 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

thats just it, its not that easy, go take your dash apart "real quick" and tell me if you would spend an extra $40 so you didn't
have to do it again in 2 years.

ORIGINAL: sgt_pepper17

IDK dude, I'm not made of money... for a heater core that's that easy to replace... I'ld just buy a used one, and spend the extra 40 on something worth while... like maybe towards a cam or intake.....
Old 05-29-2006, 01:21 AM
12Pack
2nd Gear Member

A buddy of mine did it and it took him 9 hours total to do it... IMO its not worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater Core