5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Time for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:03 AM
DanHS
1st Gear Member

Default Time for new tires

I need new rear tires. My current Goodyear Eagles have some good tread left in the center, but the shoulders have almost no tread left. While my tires are fine in dry conditions, I have poor traction in wet conditions, I need tires with better siping. I occasionally slide around when I accelerate too hard from a stop when it's wet out, or my tires spin to too long and I don't move right away. I don't even have to accelerate very hard for it to happen. In dry conditions I can spin my tires on blacktop very easily, but not as easily on asphalt. The front tires are almost new, so I don't want to replace them but I don't want to have front and rear tires that don't match. Are the higher-end Goodyear Eagle tires better in the wet, and should I get wider tires just in the back, like 240s or 245s? They would have to fit my stock alloy rims. What tires are good in the wet?
Another thing is, I think my worn shoulders might be because of my differential. Does a spool do this to tires? I don't know if a previous owner did anything like that, the car had stock mufflers when I got it and it was always brought to Jiffy lube, so the K&N filter was gone and replaced by a paper filter. The only reason I thought I might have a spool, is because when I got stuck in the snow in my driveway once, a piece of that gutter lining mesh under only one tire was all I needed to get out. And when I go around turns, I hear a chirping coming from the tire, which I know can be caused by lockers and spools, but I don't feel any locking or unlocking when I go through turns. Should I jack my car up and try tuning one tire to see what the other does? If I do have a spool, will I go through rear tires unsually fast?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:19 AM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Time for new tires

Yes lockers will wear tires more quickly but usually if your tires are worn on the outside edges you have too little air. If they wear in the center you have too much air. You didn't say wether your front and rear tires are the same size. If they are you should rotate them more often. If not you just have to deal with rear tires wearing out sooner.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:34 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you would know it if you had a spool in the rear, trust me. the rear tires would scrub a lot making turns, especially slow tight ones and the rear would tend to jump around a bit too trying to turn. a posi would do what yours did in the snow, that's why they invented them, so when one tire is slipping, the other tire gets the torque to drive out of the slippery spots. I think 50fiend is right, you'be been running underinflated tires on the rear end and this definitely will wear out the edges before the center wears. whatever you do after you get some tires, buy a good tire pressure gauge with a dial on it and keep a check on the pressures. I ran my Goodyears around 29-30 psi and this seemed to get even tire wear for me, but each car is different, so try what seems to work best for yours.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:01 PM
DanHS
1st Gear Member

Both my rear tires have exactly the same wear, at 29-30 psi. The center is worn too, just not as much as the shoulders. Whatever it is, they are worn out and I must replace them with something superior really soon. I just had a bit of a spin on wet blacktop today and I wasn't accelerating very hard at all. This is really dangerous. I'd like suggestions on what tires to get, and what size. Right now all the tires are 225/60, but if wider rear tires (like 240 or 245) will give me a little more traction then I can give up rotating tires for that. This is the way the tires were when I got the car a couple months ago, so I was not rotating or airing up the tires. The right tire was low, I matched it to the left tire's 29psi. I get a chirping sound when I go around turns but no jumping around.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:26 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

you can put 245/50's on it or go to a 255/50...
Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the wider tires will help with the traction, but in the wet, it is still very easy to break loose the rear tires, especially making a sharp turn, unless you go easier on the gas pedal. with more experience you will learn how much gas you can use and not break them loose everytime you tried to move from a standing stop, it just takes practice.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:10 PM
DanHS
1st Gear Member

OK, what tires are better than the eagle gt II tires I have now? Something around $100, in size 245/50?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:26 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

You'll also wear down the edges if you drive hard, as in around corners like I used to do.