5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

low budget performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:19 PM
tl86gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: low budget performance

haha thats crazy......i never see any autos around here......of course there are only 3 foxes in my whole town[8D] but dont give up, you might have to do a little driving to find a 5 speed but i think its worth it
Old 06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: TENGRAM

ORIGINAL: myshifter

long live the holley, its never going away and the carburetor tech advancements is amazing, we can debate this till the cows come home but carbs atomize fuel very well. I will run a carb till I die. 2 of them in fact on a tunnel ram shifting at 7500+ Any dummy can hook up a tuner to a car and dial some crap in, it takes an artist to make a carb work and work well. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
i agree carbs are great, but you try tuning with a tweecer, not nearly as easy as you'd think. a carb is much simpler, and if you think about it, thats why they're better. don't believe me? read this: http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/GUFB.pdf
if you think even 1% of efi people know that stuff in that link your crazy.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:31 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

I think i may just get whatever comes at a good price first.

BTW, can someone tell me a cheap way to get 300rwhp out of an EFI motor? I suppose I could dig a little deeper into my savings.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
tl86gt
4th Gear Member

haha....lemme think......TFS top end kit is 350 at the crank and $2200. or you could do a junkyard h/c/i upgrade and run a 75 shot of nitrous and pray that you dont eat your pistons up. you could probably pull that off for under $1500 if you can get some good junkyard parts. either way its not gonna be too cheap.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:05 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

TFS top end kit is 350 at the crank and $2200.

That sounds pretty good. Ill also be doing exhaust for sure also. Can you give me a link to that kit?
BTW im really thinking EFI now. My friend just put on a new carb, heads, cam, intake and is having a hell of a time getting it to run right. I think 350 at the crank will definately be enough with a 5 speed. And for exhaust, can someone tell me a good setup with cats? I may just run it w/o mufflers if it isn't too loud.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:22 PM
tl86gt
4th Gear Member

http://www.trickflow.com/product/eng...ekits_ford.asp
theres a start.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:01 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TENGRAM

long live the holley, its never going away and the carburetor tech advancements is amazing, we can debate this till the cows come home but carbs atomize fuel very well. I will run a carb till I die. 2 of them in fact on a tunnel ram shifting at 7500+ Any dummy can hook up a tuner to a car and dial some crap in, it takes an artist to make a carb work and work well. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
i agree carbs are great, but you try tuning with a tweecer, not nearly as easy as you'd think. a carb is much simpler, and if you think about it, thats why they're better. don't believe me? read this: http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/GUFB.pdf
if you think even 1% of efi people know that stuff in that link your crazy.
no, unfortunately most don't know it. too busy, too lazy, or too stupid. to tune an efi with an eec tuner properly, much of that info is needed. really, that info is very useful for diagnosing most problems with the efi. i've been reading it for a while but i'm stuck in chapter 6[sm=smiley23.gif]
Old 06-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Frebius
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't recommend down grading a EFI to a Carb. It doesn't matter if we think it's a downgrade or not the state will and wont pass you on emissions. Also cheap and fast don't go well with reliable y ou might as well save more money and build a reliable rig!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Are there any other kits that that TF one? They rated HP is with this setup: Kits were dyno-tested on a 306 cubic inch engine with 9.5:1 compression, a 70mm throttle body, 24lb injectors, 190 lph fuel pump, mass air, and 10° base timing.

The kit doesn't come witht that stuff.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:46 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Your friend doesnt know what hes doing.......... Carbs are pretty easy, he probably got one that WAY too big, or his cam is way too big. Most carbs come set pretty decent from the factory, a lil fine tuning and it should be ok. If he got a holley, make sure he adjusted the float levels.
On another note MYSHIFTER do you know of any road race carbs???
-P.

Quick Reply: low budget performance