5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Now Bad News plz help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:30 AM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

Default Now Bad News plz help

Well first the good. I finally got my 88 5.0 put on the road Friday, just in time for my chica's prom which was Saturday. It was so freaking awesome. Honestly I haven't had a better day in a long time. I got to drive my stang there, then showed off my sweet dancing skills, then I drove her home and didn't really have any problems. Sunday I decided to change the oil though, because it was black when I got it from the guy and I hadn't driven it at all except for up and down the road a little. When I drained it I thought I took out about 5 quarts of oil so I poured about 4 and a half quarts of new oil in to start. Then when I dumped the waste oil into a jug I realized it was only 4 quarts. So then when I checked the oil it read way far up the dipstick and I couldn't really get an accurate reading. So I drained out about half a quart. But the dipstick was still reading way high! Im so scared of blowing up my engine or running it dry, I don't want to hurt it because its only been on the road for 4 days and I dont have the money to replace an engine right now lol. How do you guys check you oil accurately? I think extra oil is shooting up the dipstick tube and throwing off my readings. Thanks a ton for the help guys, I really appreciate it
Old 06-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Good And Bad News

5.0 engines have two oil plugs. One in front of the one you drained. You need to drain that one too.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:34 AM
ooticamitica
4th Gear Member

Well is it showing any signs of too much oil besides that? (smoke) wipe it down or run it to get it hot than it should drip down and let it cool and try it again. If none of that works just drain it and put 4 new quarts in or measure how much you put in it.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:38 AM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

Do they really! Ill be a son-of-a-bi@!$. I saw the one in the front and I was going to draing that first then I saw the one in the back and thought that was what I had to drain. Ok so how much oil should they engine hold when full? What should I do about it now, change the oil again? When I drained that extra half a quart out of the bottom I wondered why it came out blacker than all hell, there must have been old oil sitting in the front of the pan too. Oh and no, it isn't really showing any signs of too much oil, no smoke really. Oh and I also forgot to ask, are 5.0s supposed to kind of shake the car a little when they idle? I guess its kind of a lumpy idle and they guy i bought it from didn't say anything about putting in a new cam put in (he would have b/c thats a good selling point), so i think its still stock.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:52 AM
Jaggezz
I ♥ Acer

I think mine takes 5 or 5 1/2 quarts.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:14 AM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I looked at my engine after I drained it and though, wow your a puss, a 4 cylinder holds 4 quarts lol.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:28 AM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaggezz

Old 06-13-2006, 02:31 AM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ckyguy68

ORIGINAL: Jaggezz

Dude, who's the girl in your Avatar??? She's kinda hot.

Sorry for the hijack...

-Ivan
Old 06-13-2006, 08:47 AM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

lol, thats ok she is. but do you guys have any insight on what is causing my car to shake a little? Also should I change the oil again? thanks again
Old 06-13-2006, 10:29 AM
ttoppedaerocoupe
2nd Gear Member

have you done anything to the car besides oil? a good ol tune up will help your shaking problem a lot.

Plugs
wires
distributor cap
dis rotor
air oil fuel filter
oil
check timing

you should start there and see what your shaking problem is after that. Not to mention that an old spark plug can tell you a lot about how an engine is running.
thats just my .02

alex

Quick Reply: Now Bad News plz help