5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Noob TB/MAF question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:24 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Noob TB/MAF question

What does a guy have to do to get a few people to help him out around here, lol.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:38 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

do u need the egr spacer or what??
Old 06-25-2006, 01:55 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:45 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FordMustangXBA

So I know this thread is a few days old, but oh well.

So I'm looking at getting a BBK 70MM throttle body and the C&L MAF...I see this thing called an EGR spacer...is that necessary to install the TB?

Also, does this stuff just go on? How difficult is it to install? And also, does the car need to be tuned after I install this stuff? Will the computer be messed up? I don't know if there are any shops near here that do that kind of stuff.

Also, injectors. I've been thinking of upgrading to 24#ers....Does that mean I'm going to need a higher volume fuel pump as well? And what will a set of injectors cost me? And how much performance will they give me?

I'm just deciding if I should do this stuff now or wait until my birthday when I can get some extra cash. I know the TB + MAF are going to be like 400-500, but I'm not sure about injectors.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, I just want to get this stuff done sooner or later. I know it'll put me a bit over 300 rwhp...Which would make me quite a happy fellow.
I've been watching this thread for a few days now and have been reluctant to answer but since no one else will, here it goes...

They sell the EGR spacer separate from the TB because if you have a Cobra intake, you do not require the spacer. With other intakes, it is needed. So most applications do require you buy the larger spacer at the same time. If you were to run the stock spacer with a 70mm TB, you'd have a large lip on the inside.

From the install point of view, it is rather straight forward and simple compared to most things.

At 278rwhp, I would have thought you probably already had injectors. It is time to upgrade. A bigger pump would be nice, but not required yet. Injectors should run you $200-225. They aren't a "performance" mod though.

What's going to put you over 300rwhp? Are you saying MAF, TB and possibly injectors will get you 22rwhp? If that's what you're thinking, they will not.

Now the real reason I didn't want to comment here is the meter you are choosing. You will find out that opinions on C&L vary website to website. There are some that love C&L and some that hate them. But from an overall perspective, a majority of people feel they are junk and cause all kinds of problems. The are famous for surging and having idleing issues. Clocking the meter will help, but not always. If it were me, I'd buy something from Professional Mass Air Systems (the new Pro-M). Anderson Ford sells them and keeps a lot in stock.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

I didn't have my heart set on the C&L, so thanks for the opinion, I will look into that farther.

Apparently the claims that the manufacturers make are absolutely wrong if I can't get that much out of these parts...Their sites claim more of a gain than that, but then again, I'm not sure I should believe them.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FordMustangXBA

I didn't have my heart set on the C&L, so thanks for the opinion, I will look into that farther.

Apparently the claims that the manufacturers make are absolutely wrong if I can't get that much out of these parts...Their sites claim more of a gain than that, but then again, I'm not sure I should believe them.

Thanks for the help.
they all want your money, they all advertise higher hp
Old 06-25-2006, 06:33 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Some of the manufacturer gains arent exactly lying, just not the whole truth.

If you do heads, cam, intake manifold, and still running a stock MAF, then yeah, changing out your maf to a larger one probably will give you that advertised horspower gain, but that mod alone 99% of the time wont likely give you that gain.

Even if you took the LOWEST advertised HP gain from all those parts (for example a MAF may be advertised as giving 5-15 hp, so 5hp would be the lowest advertised gain) you would easily get 50whp for under $1200 by adding header back exhaust, cai, maf, tb, etc... dont we all wish it would be that easy.

I'd personally like to see someone run a dyno test on a 5.0 mustang before and after adding headers, x/h-pipe, mufflers, tb, maf, just so people could see how much of a difference all this stuff makes on its own. I mean, sure, its probably a good idea to install all this stuff to further support big-time mods like heads, cam, etc, but alone they're not going to cut seconds off... just my .02

-- ojm