5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Noob TB/MAF question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:33 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Default Noob TB/MAF question

I'm looking at upgrading the TB and MAF on my car...Strange that it is modded to this extent yet this stuff is still stock. What are my best options? And what else is involved with upgrading this stuff?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:03 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Noob TB/MAF question

Looking at the list of mods in your signature, I too am suprised to see that you haven't swapped out this stuff yet. From what i've read, the stock MAF is severely restrictive. I'm guessing a C&L 76mm and a 70mm TB will do the trick.

From everything i've read the C&L is the way to go cause if you decide to do injectors later, you dont have to get a whole new MAF, or send out yours to get recalibrated, you just swap out a tube...
Old 06-18-2006, 12:06 AM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

i had heard good stuff about c&l maf and bullet maf both flow really good and are fairly reasonable price wise for tb's accufab in my opinion is the only way to go they are exensive but they are completely cnc machined to very tight specs. u may wanna think about adding some #24 injectors and taking it to a tuning shop and getting it tuned with all that you should be real happy with the results.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39904/C2F5BD5EAC4A4FFEAE3D35959E5C04D2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-18-2006, 01:26 AM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

[278rwhp/368 tq thats pretty good with your mods (no tb or maf)
Old 06-24-2006, 02:45 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

So I know this thread is a few days old, but oh well.

So I'm looking at getting a BBK 70MM throttle body and the C&L MAF...I see this thing called an EGR spacer...is that necessary to install the TB?

Also, does this stuff just go on? How difficult is it to install? And also, does the car need to be tuned after I install this stuff? Will the computer be messed up? I don't know if there are any shops near here that do that kind of stuff.

Also, injectors. I've been thinking of upgrading to 24#ers....Does that mean I'm going to need a higher volume fuel pump as well? And what will a set of injectors cost me? And how much performance will they give me?

I'm just deciding if I should do this stuff now or wait until my birthday when I can get some extra cash. I know the TB + MAF are going to be like 400-500, but I'm not sure about injectors.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, I just want to get this stuff done sooner or later. I know it'll put me a bit over 300 rwhp...Which would make me quite a happy fellow.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FordMustangXBA

So I know this thread is a few days old, but oh well.

So I'm looking at getting a BBK 70MM throttle body and the C&L MAF...I see this thing called an EGR spacer...is that necessary to install the TB?

Also, does this stuff just go on? How difficult is it to install? And also, does the car need to be tuned after I install this stuff? Will the computer be messed up? I don't know if there are any shops near here that do that kind of stuff.

Also, injectors. I've been thinking of upgrading to 24#ers....Does that mean I'm going to need a higher volume fuel pump as well? And what will a set of injectors cost me?

I'm just deciding if I should do this stuff now or wait until my birthday when I can get some extra cash. I know the TB + MAF are going to be like 400-500, but I'm not sure about injectors.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, I just want to get this stuff done sooner or later. I know it'll put me a bit over 300 rwhp...Which would make me quite a happy fellow.
yep the stuff is pretty easy to install..no it doesnt needa be tuned..jus make sure you disconnect the battery

and when youre done reconnect it and let it run a lil bit so the comp catches up w/ what you've done
Old 06-24-2006, 04:12 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Any other opinions?
Old 06-25-2006, 02:22 AM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Bump.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:20 AM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

not to hijack this mans thread, but...

Would a 75mm throttle body be too much? Also, what size MAF should i go for? I plan on HCI in the future. Also whats a good site to look for C&L meters. Lastly, i can get a C&L meter and not have to worry about buying a new MAF when i decide to upgrade my injectors, right?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:02 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

C&L "calibrates" their meters by resizing the sample tube in the MAF. You use the original MAS (the black electronics) from your car.
When you change the injector size C&L will sell you a new sample tube, for ~$25 last time I bought one.

Custom tunes can help to get rid of idle problems as well as optimize timing and fuel at wot.
I have been using a tweecer for a few months now and the difference is amazing. I have not even touched closed loop, but it was worth every penny I spent on the tweecer to fix the idle control issues.

random thoughts from
jason

Quick Reply: Noob TB/MAF question