5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

About to give up...please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 05:08 PM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

Default About to give up...please help

First off, I would like to apologize for all of the posts I've made in the past few minutes.

My car is getting on my nerves real bad...things keep going wrong back to back. And I'm to the point now where I'm going to hang up the tools and quit
As everyone probrably knows by now, I just did the swap to a 5.0. And my cars starting to act real choppy now. The fuel pump is for a 2.3 so it cuts off when its idling. The fuel lines are rubber and held on with worm clamps, and I know this isn't going to hold up. I have my overflow container on the wrong side zip tied in the fenderwell. (This is because the intake manifold is for a crown vic. and I don't have the bracket)
The idle is real choppy as well...I'm not sure if its because of a bad cam...or simply the fuel pump...regardless it is adding to my fustration
Today I changed the power steering pump, and now the belt has a little slit in it. We took it for a test drive when we were finished and now the belt squeaks really bad, and you can hear the power steering pump when you turn the wheel. Although the power steering works really well now. When we took it for the test drive, the overflow popped out and now I've lost the cap. And I'm still in need of a bracket, fuel lines, fuel pump, and the biggest thing may be the intake manifold. I have the slightest clue as to what idiot would put a crown vic manifold on a mustang...if I had the right intake it would make things a lot easier...well maybe only for the overflow. I'm working on a budget of around $300 right now. It would mean a lot of you guys had any of these things lying around...I will buy them quick...

Also, what do the two holes on the side of the radiator do? They look like normal nuts but they have a thread in the middle of them... I think this is spewing all over my engine. No good

There are just too many things wrong right now...or too many to wrap my mind around right now...

Thanks everyone...
Old 06-18-2006, 05:21 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: About to give up...please help

Ok first of all, we all go through that. Especially the 5.0's. There old motor and you need to expect running into trouble. Trust me. I am dumb and try to do custom stuff and fab. stuff myself and I usually end up breaking something in the process. It's rough, I know but don't give up just yet. As for the P/S, once you changed the pump, you did re-fill the resevoir and then turned the wheel lock to lock for a min or so and then re-filled right? If not you don't have enough fluid in it. As for the intake, try ebay. You can pick up a stock one off there for like $50 to $75. The idle is choppy maybe due to a vac. leak. Can you hear any air escaping or like a sucking noise anywhere when the engine is on? Also, the 2.3L pump is no where near enough. Also, what injectors do you have in it? The overflow you just need to take a long hard look at what you have to work with and see where you want it and then fashion brackets. I did that for myself. That's relatively easy. I did mine by just going to Home Depot or Lowes and go to the metal section and get some strips of steel, OR what I did was go to the area that they sell the hardware for the doors. Try to find one of the end pieces of metal, (the part that has the rod come in and out for the lock rod) Not sure what it's called. But they have some that only have the screw holes and NO open hole for the rod to go through. Get that and mount the resevoir to that and then attach that to something that will hold it and allow you enough space.

Good luck bro. Hope all works out for you. If you want pics of the resevoir brackets PM me.

Keep in mind this is an aftermarket resevoir. But they are cheap.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:31 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

The two holes on the side of the radiator are for your tranny cooler. I'll have a stock intake laying around in about a week, lemme know if you still need one by then.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:02 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

Like they said, get on ebay, and get yourself a stock intake ASAP... this will make it tons easier for you to work on and trouble shoot. Check all the vacuum lines during the installation of this intake, to make sure you don't get the sucking and hissingf sounds some one else mentioned on here. Then, get that fuel pump changed out... that could very well be the majority of the problem. The stock pump for the 5.0 mis barely adequate for anything more than bone stock. Also, make sure you have 19 lb injectors. I believe those are the orange ones if they are stock... any one else second that or verify the color for this guy??? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:07 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Yes the 19 lbs injectors are orange. A pale orange. And those are stock. I've already said he should check for that and the fuel pump.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:18 PM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

The two holes on the side of the radiator are for your tranny cooler. I'll have a stock intake laying around in about a week, lemme know if you still need one by then.
I will definately need it, I'm not going to be driving it too much, so 1 week doesn't really matter.

As for everyone else, thanks
Are the fuel injectors orange everywhere? or do I need to pull them out and look at the part that is covered up?
I'm working on getting the fuel pump, hopefully I'll have that by Wednesday.
Also, the holes for the tranny cooler...do those leak anything, are they supposed to be plugged up to anything?

Thanks again, I've cooled off a lot. I took a little break, and you guys helped me think everything through
Old 06-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Synyster Racing
2nd Gear Member

I have a stock intake at my shop. only problem is I live in Louisiana. I would gladly give it to you, if that would help to start fixing your problems. I don't know how I could get it to you? the injectors are orange where the plug plugs in. as for the cooler, if you don't have lines hooked to them plug them off so nothing will shoot out for sure
Old 06-18-2006, 09:03 PM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

The manifolds would help tremendously...I'll pay for shipping no problem. Let me know how much shipping is, thanks.
I'm going out to check the fuel injectors right now.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:11 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

I have 3 HO intakes sitting in my basement now,
I also have a professional products intake for sale, $250 plus shipping
Old 06-18-2006, 09:12 PM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

I would love too really, but my budgets $300, and I still need to squeeze in a fuel pump, and fuel lines

Quick Reply: About to give up...please help