5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

331 or 347??

Old 06-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Default 331 or 347??

Ok, I'm at a crossroads here and would like some help...

I have looked at most all of the facets of rebuilding and have decided against a 351 buildup. So here are the options left for me. I would like your input as long as you feel it is pertenant and would help me out. I have spend most all of the morning looking at testimonials and articles on the differences of the two buildups (331/347). Of course it appears initially that the 347 would be a better choice, but I would like to drive this car daily and wouldn't be one to hesitate in driving at the drop of a hat to say Florida or North Carolina from New Mexico. I see that there are issues dealing with reliability around the 347 clearances in the piston/connecting rod pin. It seems like the pin is so close to the inner diameter of the piston that this could present longevity problems. The 331 looks great, but if I knew that I could get some reliability issues resolved (i.e. going with a specific kit or short block as to avoid incorrect installation or block prep) I would rather go with the larger cubic inches engine - the 347.

I don't plan on racing it or showing it. I want a good, fast car that I don't have to drop a quart of oil in every time I fire it up. I have AFR 185 Heads/B303 Cam/and a BBK SSI lined up for the rest of the build. Those are the highlights, but are subject to change if I come by some "great deals" between now and then.

There will probably be a few of you asking, "What's your budget?" Well, the way I see it, the choices aren't too much difference in price (for the most part unless you get crazy buying the best of the best) so I would like to know, what you would do given your situation.

Most all of us are in the same boat. We don't have money hanging out our asses so we value our dollar and like to think before we act. That's why I'd like to hear some of what the 5.0 Forum guys want to tell me.

Thanks for your time guys,
Ivan
Old 06-23-2006, 07:55 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 331 or 347??

I voted 331 shortblock. Usually get more power in them than longblocks, only because you can put it together with whatever top end components that you want and ones that are more suited for what you want out of the car.

I'm a little biased though. That's what I'm doing. I wanted a 347 but with the boost from the turbo I'm affraid that the little extra rod travel would make it more susceptable for breaking or bending. I really don't want a long block because I know that I want a certain set of heads, a certain intake manifold, certaincam, etc. That's why I wanna build my own.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

That's great info...thanks. I don't plan on Boosting or SC'ing, but given the info, I feel that it's very useful. Thanks.

More please!!

Thanks,
Ivan
Old 06-23-2006, 08:04 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

What are you looking to do to the car? Like what are you looking to get out of it? What HP range are you looking for? Are you gonna just cruise in it or are you going to race occasionally with it?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

I plan on driving it daily but wouldn't ever mind taking it to the track.

I'm one of those guys who would like to go to the track every weekend but for some stragne reaseon, one of the 4 kids ends up wanting to do something else.

I try to be a good Dad so, I might only make it to the track 5 or 6 times a Season.

-Ivan
Old 06-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

a 331 has a better rod ratio...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:19 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Well, a 331 short block is a good starting point. It may not apply to you but I know at least for me I gotta get one that has a DART 4 bolt main block as the platform. But then again I'm turbo and want to spray and am looking to "eventually" hit 1200 rwhp. (Yeah, I got high ambitions ). But you may not need to go that route. A regular 331 or 347 shortblock would probably do the trick for ya. For you I would probably recomend a nice N/A cam that has a powerband from 1500-5700. That'll give you the low end torque that is needed for a decently powered N/A motor. Then of course, recomended to everyone AFR heads. They're the best aluminum heads on the market right now. Decrease weight, cool faster, and flow more. I personally like Trick Flow for intake manifolds, but Edelbrock makes some good ones too. That should be a decent setup for a daily driven but still track ready car. Then of course, you could also throw nitrous on there and have a mid-high 11 to low 12 sec. car. With the proper suspension and chassis stiffening mods, of course.

Good luck with the car. Let us know how your project is going. And everyone here loves pics so don't be shy of snapping a few off and posting'em up.

[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 06-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Very great info FoxRod. Thanks for the input.

I'll take some pics of the cars my nieghbor has across the street. He has a SC'd car and a Turbo'd car too I think.

Both Notch cars. One with some crazy **** like 1300 RWHP and the other with "only" 931. He also has a 66 Fastback that is "somewhere around 550."

That should be right up your alley. My pictures are lame because I'm not doing anything now but gathering info.

But I will post when I get something worthy.

Thanks for the replies,
Ivan
Old 06-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twister

a 331 has a better rod ratio...
Como "better rod ratio?"

-Ivan
Old 06-23-2006, 08:32 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

im gonna say a 331 short block too. i wouldnt bother with the kit. just get an all new block or atleast a freshened up one. plus with the short block its already assembled for you, so all you gotta do is slap on some heads and a cam and so on. I also think the 331 would make a better daily driver engine. I've heard a lot of people talk about the piston pin problems with the 347 and a lot of people saying most of the kits are revised now, and that problem no longer exists. But i didnt want to worry about finding out the hard way and i bought a 331 short block. thats what i think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 331 or 347??