5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

switching to stud rockers, thinking about going to 1.7....Too much lift?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:20 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default switching to stud rockers, thinking about going to 1.7....Too much lift?

My cars general setup is in my sig so please see that.

i have a xe270hr cam, .512/.512 with 270/276 duration.

i have pedistal 1.6's on it now, having problems wtih the pushrod length and figure i'd be better off with stud mounts anyway so i'm going that route.

so i'm thinking if i'm spending almost 400 on a set of rockers might as well get something i will make power off of over what i have now.

so i'm thinking about getting 1.7's, i calculated the lift and it came out to .544' lift! is that too much lift for the car????
Old 06-24-2006, 09:33 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: switching to stud rockers, thinking about going to 1.7....Too much lift?

well I take it that with that 512 lift the engine has been rebuilt and piston with reliefs have been installed...as for the studs why? what you need is a push rod checker.. a set of harden ones would be my choice..you may have rocker backing off of a lifter colapsing
Old 06-24-2006, 09:37 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: switching to stud rockers, thinking about going to 1.7....Too much lift?

adjustable pushrod is what you need to start with http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,61.0.html

Max valve lift has nothing to do with piston clearance, its the overlap ground into the cam, when the intake valve is at max lift the piston is already moving well down the bore drawing the intake charge in
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,57.0.html
Old 06-24-2006, 09:39 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

i just would rather have adjustability. with studs, obviously, i can adjust valve timing and find a little bit more power out of that. i have the cash so why the hell not.

lifters are not collapsed they are fine i checekd them and even replaced them wtih a brand new set, ran the motor, tore it down again and checked again. it has stock pistons that were fly cut.

honestly i think thats too much for the car, i know those heads dont have the velocity to flow that much lift atleast i dont think, they have not been opend up yet.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:41 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

or maybe im dumb?

does anybody else dis agree that an adjustable will make less power then a pedistal mount?
Old 06-24-2006, 09:43 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: J 85 GT

i just would rather have adjustability. with studs, obviously, i can adjust valve timing and find a little bit more power out of that. i have the cash so why the hell not.

lifters are not collapsed they are fine i checekd them and even replaced them wtih a brand new set, ran the motor, tore it down again and checked again. it has stock pistons that were fly cut.

honestly i think thats too much for the car, i know those heads dont have the velocity to flow that much lift atleast i dont think, they have not been opend up yet.
adjust valve timing? And more power from a stud mount on a hydraulic roller cam?
Old 06-24-2006, 09:44 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: myshifter

adjustable pushrod is what you need to start with http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,61.0.html

Max valve lift has nothing to do with piston clearance, its the overlap ground into the cam, when the intake valve is at max lift the piston is already moving well down the bore drawing the intake charge in
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,57.0.html
the cam would have clearance problem anyway do to no relief....so the duration fractor isn't needed in this case

85...it's not a solid roler so what cam timing are you looking to get?....you should of dailed in the cam to see maybe you could have advanced the cam or not...
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: J 85 GT

or maybe im dumb?

does anybody else dis agree that an adjustable will make less power then a pedistal mount?
I wont call you dumb but not correct in your thinking, your gonna preload the hydraulic either way, shim it using a pedestal or lashing it with a stud mount
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

yah aint it quarter turn one way for bottom end power and quarter turn the other for top end?
Old 06-24-2006, 09:47 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

if i'm sounding stupid here then help me out.

Quick Reply: switching to stud rockers, thinking about going to 1.7....Too much lift?