5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

dirty coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:16 AM
stanging
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: dirty coolant

You have transmission lines that go to the radiator that help cools the fluid. the tank inside was leaking.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:18 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Go get it flushed and if you are that worried about it go get a new radiator also, i've seen this millions of times.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:38 AM
chinaman

about the whole running bad thing mentioned before. oil in the coolant will not necessarily cause things to run bad, it still flows, and being the the oil will be on the top, you can't really tell how much oil is in there, it could only be a little bit. it doesn't take much. This will also come into play with your experiment. If it is oil, how much relative to the amt of coolant. grab a flashlight, does it look pretty close to chocalate milk. Again its hard to say, your best bet is to just get some on your finger

If its too hot of not full enough to get some on the ole finger, just run it for a bit, run to the grocery store or something, and open the pepcock for a split second then try to wash away your mess with some water and look for that little rainbow.

Regardless it might just be dirty, it is also a possibity that the tranny lines in the rad got jacked, in this case grab a new radiator, but its hard to tell if that the problem. or it could just be old and rusty

Chocolate milk, remember that
good luck
Old 07-07-2006, 01:47 AM
frop
2nd Gear Member

ATF & coolant looks like strawberry milkshake
Old 07-07-2006, 01:50 AM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

im sure most of you are going to tell me that im a moron and that it'll ruin the motor but trust me it wont. if you dont wanna go and pay to get the system flushed by one of the machines ( all it does anyway is run ALL the old fluid out and put new stuff in ) you can run dish detergent through it and save some cash. not the liquid bubbly stuff, but something like AJAX (spell?) the powder stuff or somthing. they do this stuff all the time. my teachers ( at U.T.I. ) say it works great! when you do this instead of just a flush, you actually clean EVERYTHING out instead flushing through. although i dont recommend this for cars with really high miles or is running very poorly to begin with. in that case you better find out why ur **** is broken first
Old 07-07-2006, 02:06 AM
frop
2nd Gear Member

You could also go to a parts store & get a bottle of coolant flush & run that for however long it says then flush everything out.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:16 AM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

i havent opened the radiator cap yet should i do that?

i seen my dad do it on his truck and he burned the **** out of his hand and there was crap loads of steam coming out (hes got a 7.0 liter F-700 things a beast)
Old 07-07-2006, 05:16 AM
frop
2nd Gear Member

Stack up several rags or a bunch of paper towels before you crack it, you WILL burn yourself otherwise.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:52 AM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

well what if it sat over night dosnt that lower the pressure? my dad being the ultra-man he is opened his when it was hot. says right on it.. DO NOT OPEN WHEN HOT

that didnt stop him
Old 07-07-2006, 06:05 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

have you rubbed your finger along the inside wall?...that's the best way of knowing if oil is getting in their other than the obvious.

my coolant looked perfect,but it did leave traces of oil residue.

what i'm thinking is that you are using city water to fill radiator/coolant.....and the bottom is corroding a little bit,and that's where you are getting the "dirty" coolant from.

Quick Reply: dirty coolant