5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help with my clutch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Greedy
1st Gear Member

Default Need help with my clutch!!!

Alright so drivin home last night i was in second gear just driving along normal then i shifted into 3rd gear let the clutch out and heard a loud "pop" now my car wont shift into gear when i push the clutch in, but the clutch grabs strong when i start the car in first and let it out, so anyone have any ideas what it is? for some reason i cant seem to find any way to adjust my clutch either. HELP PLEASE
Old 07-15-2006, 11:17 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Need help with my clutch!!!

maybe the clutch cable snaped?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:21 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

if thats a stock cable theres not really an adjustment on it, other than the" pull up on the clutch pedal
till you feel it click" thing, but thats not going to help here
Old 07-15-2006, 11:29 PM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

If you can NOW start the car in 1st, and upon letting out the clutch it grabs ... it's not a clutch problem. Another check would be is the clutch pedal somewhat stiff? (like it was before?). A snapped cable would probably have the pedal just 'dangling' (real easy to push in and probably wouldn't come back up).
Old 07-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Greedy
1st Gear Member

the clutch feels fine. cables good. grabs hard but just when the car is running it wont shift into gear. and yea its a stock cable and it sucks lol any ideas?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:34 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

i had a cable let loose once, but it didnt snap it just streched and it was hard to push it to the floor
you could push it enought to start it but you couldnt get it in gear to drive it
i put a new cable in and it was good to go
Old 07-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Greedy
1st Gear Member

Sounds like that could be the problem marx91, its not snapped the pedal feels fine, just a little loose towards the top the clutch grabs hard, so maybe it did stretch. It has a king cobra clutch arnt them notoriously heavy?? But why the popping sound?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:45 PM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

My guess would be your throwout bearing and or your clutch fork. Bearing might have popped out of the fork or the fork is bent. Happened to me... clutch was VERY hard to push in (had a bent fork). Just my 2 cents..
Old 07-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Greedy
1st Gear Member

My clutch is feels just like it should, not to hard not to soft. the damn thing just wont shift into gear while running. I think it must have stretched because it seems like the clutch isnt letting out all the way to let it into gear...and theres no way to adjust stock cables so i have to get a new one huh? the car has 15X,XXX miles on it also if that would led to it stretching
Old 07-16-2006, 12:04 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

The cable would NOT 'stretch' instantly. I'm guessing you have have a fork problem, or tranny problems. Again, just my thoughts......

Quick Reply: Need help with my clutch!!!