Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-20-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
95DkGrnGt

Default low rough idle

Hi everyone this is my first post. I didn't find any threads that helped me with my problem. hope someone here might have some insight.
The other day i went to start my car and the fuel pump was dead(over 160K on the stocker) so i ordered a 155 LPH from SUMMIT. I bought their SUMMIT pump(made by walbro) and installed it. my car starts faster and has smoother acceleration but i now have a very low stumbling idle. nothing else was done to the car at the time. For along time i've had an idle issue running A/C at an idle to the point of dying and figure the IAC is the culprit, but i've never had an unloaded idle problem. Could it possibly be a pressure problem and i need an adjustable regulator? OK thats all i can think of right now. Thanks for any help.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

95DkGrnGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to FiveLiterRiceEater
Default RE: low rough idle

pressure is probably fine. it sounds like you might have a dirty or plugged up iac passage. pop it off and clean it out real good. you can also do a koeo test and see if you get any codes.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:51 AM   #3
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1989, Mustang GT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater
i like ur name btw.

1989 GT Bright Regatta Blue and Titanium
SVO GT40x Aluminum Heads, FRPP F303 Cam, Trick Flow Track Heat Intake w/ 3/8" spacer, 3.73s, Full Exhaust and Suspension

13.024 @ 105.8mph w/ 1.914 60' getting closer to 12s..

This Car is For Sale
nacanitihs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

I had a really rough idle, it was because the pump wasn't giving the engine enough gas.
If you still have the time or still up to it, try moving up to a 190lph or 255lph...it depends on everything you have on the engine.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

My 255 bumbed out and i just stuck a stocker in because its all i got till i get paid, im very curious about how much this is actually hurting my performance. It definatly is dragging *** on the top end now, only ran it up to there once, i worried about running lean at those higher rpms. I was watching my fuel pressure as i accelerated and it went from the 40's to near 10psi before i finally let off.

I also think its your IAC, as fiveliterriceeater said, get some carb and choke cleaner and spray it all in there and let it sit for a few min's. Then get scrub it really nice. Even get some compressed air and blow it out really nice.

88stangaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:16 AM   #6
95DkGrnGt

Thanks for the fast responses. I took off the IAC and cleaned it out with brake clean, it was all i had here, and it seems to be OK now. I have an idle of about 600-650 RPM and no surge with the A/C either.

95DkGrnGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:16 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
50, 69, 95, ac, aod, fox, gt, idle, low, mustang, rough, start, startup, stumbling, supercharger