5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

gear grinding...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:37 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

Default gear grinding...

hallo, i have a problem with my 5.0. I can hear a slight grinding noise under my car and sounds like its comming from the tranny. it makes this noise during idle and speeds up when i go...its not loud, but noticable...when i hold my hand on the shifter i can feel a slight grinding feeling...i'm not sure if i need to just put more gear lube in or what? I don't know if this helps but when i switch into 5th gear around low RPM's it slightly grinds through the gear and once i get up to high speeds it goes away kinda, (i think cause its spinning so fast it isn't noticable)...and when i speed up really fast in 1st it does it too...i don't think its my synchros seeing how it doesn't grind going into the gear.....just while im in it...its been going on for a while, REAL Pain in the A**..sorry if cunfusing but just trying to put into as much detail...Please Help
Old 06-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default RE: gear grinding...

So it's grinding when you're already in gear?
Do you have a short throw shifter?
Or is it stock?
if stock rip off the boot and check the rubber bracket thing in between the two shifters
you could just be hearing the vibration
Old 06-07-2004, 11:22 AM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

Ya, it grinds when i'm already in gear....i do believe that i't came with a short throw shifter when i bought it....ya so even when i just sit at idle in neutral it has a constant grind and when i rev up it gets higher and faster...i'm hopeing it is maybe the tranny fluid is low or something...cause i remember when i put fluid inlast time it never had so much that it topped off...so i hope thats it
Old 06-07-2004, 11:35 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Check the fluid level first. Remove the top plug and fill it up through there or the shifter location until fluid runs out the top hole where you removed the plug. Drive it again and see if the noise goes away.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:52 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

You can fill the manual transmission fluid through the shifter location???
Old 06-07-2004, 01:08 PM
EmptyEvergreen
3rd Gear Member

my steeda tri ax makes some more noise than the original shifter did. thats because short throw shifters delete the rubber isolators that deaden sound and you can hear a lot more noise coming from the tranny, what your hearing is prolly similar to what i hear and that is perfectly normal
Old 06-07-2004, 01:21 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: StangMang

You can fill the manual transmission fluid through the shifter location???
yup, much easier than trying to squirt uphill eh? especially if you don't have a lift
Old 06-07-2004, 02:59 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Sounds like your driveline could be rubbing.... Have you had it removed or messed with?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:02 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

no i've never messed with my driveline...i dunno Empty, if you heard it i don't thinks its normal...so How exactly do u fill tranny fluid through the shifter location MdValdosta?? sounds a hell of alot easier...i wanna know
Old 06-08-2004, 11:06 AM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

can anyone tell me how to put tranny fluid in through the shfter area?.....anyone know?

Quick Reply: gear grinding...