5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oh Sh!T!!! Some Gasket Fell Into My Intake...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:25 PM
lead09
1st Gear Member

Default Oh ****!!! Some Gasket Fell Into My Intake...

I was cleaning off the old gasket from the top of the lower intake. I had the holes plugged with rags and I vacuumed all the crud from them before I removed them. But I still managed to see a small piece of gasket (1/4" OD at the most) fall into the intake. I can't see/reach it. I don't know if it is beyond the valve already. How fubared am I? It is a tfs paper gasket.

Will it just get sucked though the engine and out the exhaust? What's the worst case scenario?

Damm I tride so hard to not get anything in there!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:43 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oh ****!!! Some Gasket Fell Into My Intake...

1/4 inch is a pretty big piece. Worst case it it messes the walls of your bore up pretty badly. Dont feel bad though, i dropped an aluminum screw down my intake once. Had to remove the head to get it back out. That was a pain.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:49 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I would go through the work and get it out. Not worth it to leave it in there and have something happen.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:01 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

I would go through the work and get it out. Not worth it to leave it in there and have something happen.
+1...just think if it scores your cylinder wall up and starts making you loose oil.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:06 PM
lead09
1st Gear Member

You don't think it will get sucked through? Would a piece of paper gasket really score up the cylinder walls? No chance that is gets sucked out...

I really did not need this to happen. I work out of the parking garage at my apartment and pulling the heads off is the last thing that I want to do.

Fawk...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:12 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

It might be OK but I would try and get it out....
Old 08-16-2006, 02:16 PM
TMeyer29
2nd Gear Member

better to be safe than sorry....if it does mess something up you are going to be awfully sorry that you didnt take the time to "do it right." It could save you a lot of time in the long run..Not to mention money too.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:17 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

well....my friend got a napkin sucked down into his cylinder, we didnt want to take the chance at all, so we poured some gasoline into the intake and fired it up, it burned the napkin out. But i dont know about the gasket. You can try pouring some gas down in there and letting it set a minute and then get a grill lighter and light it. Do that a couple times and try to get it all out.

Or take the spark plug out and look in there with a flash light and try to see if you can get it out with something that way. Try not to mess the threads up that way.

But still the best way is to take the lower intake off. Chances are it didnt make its way all the way into the cylinder, its probably laying at the bottom of the intake port in the head. Take the lower off and see if its sitting in the port. Which i would imagine it got stuck.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:17 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I woujld try everything in your power though first to try to get it....
Old 08-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Nadelle
3rd Gear Member

DUDE dont be lazzy just fuggin do the work to get it, and if you decide to stay lazy and let the gasket stay, let us know how your engine blew up.

sorrey to be so tuff on you, but somebody needs to say it.

that sucks man good luck. it could always be worse (lol like a cat or somthing getting stuck in your engine)

Quick Reply: Oh Sh!T!!! Some Gasket Fell Into My Intake...