5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD OWNERS HELP A BROTHER OUT..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 PM
isthatfuny
2nd Gear Member

Default AOD OWNERS HELP A BROTHER OUT..

any thoughts on my situation..this my first aod not mustang 5.0..i'm getting 2 different stories from frienfd,mechanics and trans guys..my car was a 4 cyl converted to 5.0 the guy i got the car from didnt know the car was converted so everyhting is a mystery..now i have a ford racing converter new in box 2200 rom stall, a trans go aod-hp shift kit and a big hayden race trans cooler and a aluminum driveshaft
ok the mechanic doing the install has done many of the trans go kits, it's my friends dads place and he specializes in race/street strip mustangs..he said he would do the work but no warranty since i have no clue how old the trans is, even though it shifts good and fluid is very clean he cant be sure till he's inside and then its to late u gotta finish the shift kit..he's made it apoint to only do them on tranmissions he has info on due to if a aod is not in top shape a shift kit could ruin it pretty fast..he told me if there done right there great but usually done right is being rebuilt, all my friends think i'm crazy and should judt invest ina new pa or lentech but i dont have that much right now..i wanna try this setup to see how the car is with it and then i can decide if i wanna stay auto or 5spd...so anyone with aod's that have done this or at least the trans go shift kit please throw some thoughts at me about the advantage or any problems, downfalls..anyone do this and then the trans goto crap.....figured better to ask u guys since i can get a few different facts whether good or bad....car has 2.5 mac h pipe with high flow cats and 2.5 cat back flowmasters , 4:10's and k&n cone filter and is slow as ****..hoping this trans work could make the difference and bringing me closer to e.t's of a 5spd
Old 08-17-2006, 11:09 PM
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: AOD OWNERS HELP A BROTHER OUT..

dude i have teh aod with a trango shift kit and 4.10 gears i can chearp gears with it. it pulls hard and i now dont care for a manual tranny. i was in the same situation my car was supposedly had a rebuilt when i bought it and the guy i bought it from told me the car had like 1200 miles on a rebuilt i put about 3,000 on it since i had it... and did the shift kit and the tranny is responding very well. i know that is not that many miles for a rebuilt but im going on this guys word that it was actually rebuilt not that long ago...the tranny did shift nice and smooth before the shift kit.but then again my car doesnt see many miles no more because it is not my daily driver anymore..... bottom line if you didnt beat the car then do the shift kit.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:34 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

My tranny in the vert was fine until I put a shift kit in it, then all the sudden, one day, my OD band was non-existent. If you're not sure just tighten up your tv cable, it'll give you the shift points and shift firmness you are looking for.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:03 AM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

ok..i have had several t5s and i like aods better...mosttime its notshift kit that is messing a tranny up its the kick down on it isnt ajusted right...burn up ya clutches and pump fast...i have a 3000 stall and beefed up aodmanual valve body...ill take it over a t5 anyday..i can shift in and out of my gears at any time...2200 stall will make a differencein acel..my aod had 8% slipage less then the avg t5...i say get a new filter and a mild shift kit not a competition one..when u buy a shift kit you can decide what parts to put in from a lil more then stock to competiotion...and there eeasy to install...what ever ya do make sure ya kick down is all way open and work from there so you get plenty of fluid..
Old 08-18-2006, 12:14 AM
inahury1
1st Gear Member

I installed the Transgo and I hade no idea how old the trans was it looked clean so it may have been rebuit. The car has 60000 miles on the car and I took a chance, it seems to be fine so far it made the aod alot better but I still like to slam My Dads 5 speed around He gets tired of dirving it around town so we both have fun driving each others cars. I am looking into converting mine to a manual TKO 600 or getting an Art Carr AOD with a full manual valve body and a custom stall.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 AM
isthatfuny
2nd Gear Member

thank u guys, yeah i did tighten up the cable when i first got the car it was shifting at 3500 at wot..then i pulled all the play out and it's now shifting around 4500 give or take alittle..but i know my converter sucks since its more of a play then daily driver i'm gonna take a chance i have the trans go kit and i'm gonna tell the guy do what he thinks best as in what parts of the kit to install..he does them and since i can trust him do to i[m close with his son and i met a guy who did a shift kit for and he was really happy..the mechanic is very **** and thats a good thing .. i told him noone would install the kit for me they said it was a waste of time and he said thats cause they dont know what there doing, he said it's my choice but he has a stock motor car with just nitrous and exhaust and 4:10 with drag radials running mid 12's..for the past 3 years..they just took the aod out and sold it, the kid went with c-4 cause the car is no longer d/d and there doing a high rpm nitrous motor..also i figure why spend 1400.00 now when this trans might actually last awhile .. i had a 79 trans am (1st car)auto with a high stall and manual valve body and i gotta tell u i thought it was more fun then the 5sp..the stall made it fun to mess with people and intimidate them plus i think it's more hot rod..and another thing is i can drink my coffee as i chirp gears pass the imports =) without worrying about spilling cause i gotta shift or maybe i'm just lazy
Old 08-18-2006, 12:52 AM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

i know what ya mean man. Autos can actually be faster than 5 spds if built correctly. and yea i like having the hands free feeling, like said b4 if you want the feeling of a 5 spd you can get a manual valve body and thatll get ya close. And yes i am lazy as far as shifting goes as well.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:18 AM
isthatfuny
2nd Gear Member

did u every run your car at a track i havent but i figure 15's if i had 308 or 273 then forget i would be embarressed to drive it..ny car has a 94-95 motor in it but once its at the shop i'm gonna have him check everything out ..timing could be off as well as plugs etc etc..i just cant work on it at home right now so just antsy to get it in the shop..hopefully i bring it up there tomm and get it back by next tues so i can bring it to the track...
Old 08-18-2006, 02:54 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

i would just play with it man

when i first got my car 2nd gear would shift at 3500 too

i was like wtf man.. i was very dissapointed

then i started learning the car and learning when to downshift and where the powerband is

without any mechanical adjustments at all (to my knowledge) i can hit 5500 in 2nd gear if i want

before the car was slow and now i can basicaly go however fast i want.. alot of times it scares me lol
Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 PM
isthatfuny
2nd Gear Member

i think this car need sall the help it can get..

Quick Reply: AOD OWNERS HELP A BROTHER OUT..