5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

anyone done the efi to carb thing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 02:39 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Default RE: anyone done the efi to carb thing

Sorry 88stangaruu Normally I'm on your side. But you can make just as much power from an EFI then you can with a Carb. My freinds cobra has 597hp to the wheels, I've seen 1000+HP drag cars running Fuel Injection. I just don't see a point in him going backwards in time.

Don't get me wrong I love my 800CFM Holley Double Pumper with my ProForm main, but my 69 came carbed.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Synyster Racing
2nd Gear Member

There is nothing wrong with a carbed setup, if you have a basic knowledge of engine tuning. Although EFI is a hell of alot more complicated when it comes to big HP, it's definatly more reliable for an DD...
Old 08-26-2006, 03:26 PM
91stang
4th Gear Member

my first car was a 65 ford falcon and that things was the biggest torublemaker... first i had to set the idle up higher when it's cold then when it got hot it would be too high and i would have to lower it and do that basically everyday

haha but i also had to repalce all 4 of the drum breaks... talk bout pain in the neck
Old 08-26-2006, 03:27 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

no isaid listen? i said ya get more hp for the $....jetting a carb lol take maybe 10 min tops usualland tuning one if ya know how to do it righttake very lil time usually... efi is a lil more efficiant.better gas milage i think if efi is timed good..but still for the $ a carb set up is better...
Old 08-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Synyster Racing
2nd Gear Member

I definatly agree hellas85stang, thats one reason I wen't with carb.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:00 PM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

efi is harder to tune, costs more and is less reliable. the produce almost the same power up to about 1500hp (the carb has about a 1% lead) after that is carb all the way. 579hp out of fuel injection doesnt impress me. its very easy to do with a carb. anyone who has had a carbed vehicle and said it ran like crap needs to learn how to tune a carb. do it once and dont touch it for years. cost is a huge difference as well, to make 500 hp on a carb you need a $300 650 dbl pumper carb, and a $225 dollar intake. for fuel injection you need a $579 intake, $400 for 36# injectors, $150 for a throttle body, $75 for a egr spacer, $225 for mass air meter, and $300 worth of dyno time to get it tuned correctly.

if there were no fuel injection cars out we would be seeing posts like

"My car wont start when its hot"
"with a carb its 2 things, either it is vapor locking or the starter is heat soaked
"My car surges at on the freeway"
your running to lean, jet 2 sizes larger and try it
"I changed my cam and my car runs like crap"
carbs dont care how big your cam is
"Why am i getting bad gas milage"
your air fuel ratio is off, try going 2 sizes smaller on the primary jets
Old 08-26-2006, 05:12 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I'm doing the exact same swap right now. I'm just wiring my pump to a hot wire thats only on when the ignition is and running it through a 7.5 amp fuse. Where did you mount your pump.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:35 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

efi is harder to tune, costs more and is less reliable. the produce almost the same power up to about 1500hp (the carb has about a 1% lead) after that is carb all the way. 579hp out of fuel injection doesnt impress me. its very easy to do with a carb. anyone who has had a carbed vehicle and said it ran like crap needs to learn how to tune a carb. do it once and dont touch it for years. cost is a huge difference as well, to make 500 hp on a carb you need a $300 650 dbl pumper carb, and a $225 dollar intake. for fuel injection you need a $579 intake, $400 for 36# injectors, $150 for a throttle body, $75 for a egr spacer, $225 for mass air meter, and $300 worth of dyno time to get it tuned correctly.

"with a carb its 2 things, either it is vapor locking or the starter is heat soaked
So your telling me the people on this forums who are running carb's all have over 1500HP. WOW I'm sorry you all should switch to carb.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:42 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PX429

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

So your telling me the people on this forums who are running carb's all have over 1500HP. WOW I'm sorry you all should switch to carb.

No what hes saying is that up to the 1500hp mark carbs and efi both produce about the same hp when tuned correctly. But when your at that point the price is also about the same. The great thing and main reason I switched to carb is its easy to tune and I would of had to switch to mass air if I wanted to do anything with efi. Carb was definitly cheaper buying new parts and it something I'm familiar with.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:54 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Yeah i know what he was saying. like I said earlier I have a holley 4150 double pumper and I love it. It's also on a 429ci Big Block. On our 5.0's parts for our Efi's are so cheap now you don't need to backtrack technolagy. expecially if your running less then...let's say 800HP

Quick Reply: anyone done the efi to carb thing