5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

anyone done the efi to carb thing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 AM
cms91lx

Default anyone done the efi to carb thing

ok, so im doin the EFI to carb swap o n my 91 mustang, cant get the fuel pump running, i cant find wire #97 and 361# under the hood as refered to on the fletchs web site, went under the seat to the pump relay, no luck there either

wires i have at relay
Lt blue/orange stripe
pink/black stripe
red
green/Lt green

i had an idea, by looking at the wiring diagrams could i power the primary side of the inertia switch with a 12v switched source, then add a ground somewhere, im not sure which wire to ground though

any ideas would be a help
Old 08-25-2006, 12:06 AM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Default RE: anyone done the efi to carb thing

your going backwards in time and reversing what took FORD twenty years to do on the mustang?

in other words? why carb it?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:09 AM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

cheaper hp simple..2g on a carb setup is more hp then a efi...if ya argue that then ya havent done both...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:39 AM
1stSHO
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PX429

your going backwards in time and reversing what took FORD twenty years to do on the mustang?

in other words? why carb it?
Im with you there!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:43 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Carbureted engines respond to mods much better. Just switching over will put you at about 20-40hp. Ask anyone. But you sacrafice a little drivability and a little gas mileage.

Go there, tells you everything you could want to know about the swap.

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/
Old 08-25-2006, 02:43 AM
1stSHO
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hellas85stang

cheaper hp simple..2g on a carb setup is more hp then a efi...if ya argue that then ya havent done both...
Cheaper????? Lots of headaces also!!! You have to jet it, adjust this, adjust that!!!! LOL. More HP than EFI??? Thats a strange one. I see alot of EFI cars putting some good power down.

Carbs are for old cars, if they were so great, why isnt any car makers using it anymore?? Look at new ATV's, All going to EFI, gee i wonder why???
Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Dath
2nd Gear Member

because it takes a kidney to buy a gallon of gas now.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1stSHO

Cheaper????? Lots of headaces also!!! You have to jet it, adjust this, adjust that!!!! LOL. More HP than EFI??? Thats a strange one. I see alot of EFI cars putting some good power down.

Carbs are for old cars, if they were so great, why isnt any car makers using it anymore?? Look at new ATV's, All going to EFI, gee i wonder why???

Better emissions.

And you dont have to pull codes to figure out whats wrong, set it, jet it and your done.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:50 AM
1stSHO
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

ORIGINAL: 1stSHO

Better emissions.

And you dont have to pull codes to figure out whats wrong, set it, jet it and your done.
???????????????????????. Not only that, better milage, better cold starts. FFI is easy, you just got to read and study it. If i ever get an older stang with carb, it will be converted to EFI.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:59 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Your gas mileage isnt that much horrible unless you have it jetted rich as hell, i mean, my EFI car gets about 10mpg in traffic with some 24#'s so thats not saying much either, its a tad on the rich side but not that much.

For the street, i'd keep EFI just because it is a little more drivable and depending on the EFI motor, better gas mileage. But people exagerate how horrible carburetors are, mainly the people who dont know alot about them and havnt driven carb'd cars. Cald starts can be a little bit worse, but with modern carbs like Barry Grants, etc, its not as bad as it used to be.

Its all in the tune.

Quick Reply: anyone done the efi to carb thing