5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car quitting every so often!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:44 AM
cbr9rider

Default car quitting every so often!!!!

Well I have a 95 GT with only 40,000 miles on it car runs decent but I am having some problems with the car that I cant figure out. Well the first is that sometimes while driving down the road the car just quits all of a sudden all lights work on dash and no check engine light, so I put it in neutral and restart the car voila it starts back fine and fast. Until tonight I was coming home when the car quit again driving down the 4-lane when it quit again, so I put it in neutral and tried to start it again but it didnt work this time. I pulled off the road and popped the hood to see if something may have came loose but nothing loose as far as i could see. I set there for a while cranking the car with no luck on starting it. I then sat around for about 15 mins and tried again but it still wouldnt start. I then called a tow truck to come and get me but as soon as I got off the phone I tried again and it started with no problems or check engine codes. But my question is has anyone ran into this kind of problem with there gt or v6 possible? This may get me killed one day driving and it quit in mid traffic and get ran over top off .

and my second question is how is the gt and the v6 cars front lower control arms different? I'm in need of the passenger front controll arm but can only find v6 cars but everyone at the junk yards are saying that they are different. Anyone know how?

thanks Jason
Old 08-25-2006, 02:12 AM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: car quitting every so often!!!!

sounds like a problem with the fuel pump.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:58 AM
Steeda1716
3rd Gear Member

Put some redbull in the fuel tank..
Old 08-25-2006, 02:58 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onetrickpony

sounds like a problem with the fuel pump.
not likely, it turns over quickly, usually a lazy pump needs to be primed a few times....chaeck the entire fuel system
Old 08-25-2006, 03:09 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Check the TPI modual in the dizzy. Sounds like thats your problem.

Also check the fuel relay in your black fuse box under the hood next to the battery.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:32 AM
cbr9rider

Dizzy? dont guess i know what that is. lol
ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Check the TPI modual in the dizzy. Sounds like thats your problem.

Also check the fuel relay in your black fuse box under the hood next to the battery.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Andymon

Anybody have the final solution for this? I'm having the same problem with a 95 5-speed 5.0. 137000 miles. Worked great for a week after I got it then engine started cutting out intermittantly. Sometimes hot, sometimes cold, sometimes not at all. Finally got to the point where it died once and left me on the side of the road for 15 minutes. Then started up, made it home.
I started checking electrical stuff. Replaced the ignition module, I think (small rectangle thingie with a heatsink on itthat mounts below the air filter housing on the passenger side fender), and the problem did not immediately go away.While troubleshooting an aftermarket alarm, I noticed the problem went away. At this point, I'm assuming it is coincidence. The problem just returned after about a month, and again the engine is cutting out, sometimes for 10 seconds or more on the freeway, then catches again. Tac will go to zero when this happens, even tho i'm in gear. Then it "catches" again, car lurches, and all is well for a while.
Drove the car all day today, went to visit a friend at the hospital, came down to the car, which was parked in the shade, 30 mins later and it would turn over, I could hear the fuel pump, but would not start. Tried for 15 minutes before giving up. Car is still in parking garage, took a friend's car to work...

Could someone break down "Check the TPI module in the dizzy" into moron terms, ie what is TPI and dizzy?
I wanna say I checked the relay last time around, but I'll check it again when I get a chance. Don't relays either work or not work?
Is hearing the fuel pump prime enough to assume that the pump does not need to be replaced? What would be your breakdown for troubleshooting this?
This is a really cool, well cared for, nice running car with a couple itty-bitty issues and this one massive problem. I'm afraid to have it diagnosed, as I'll pay money to have the mechanic drive my car around while it is behaving. You know the drill.

Any help would be much appreciated. Putting Red Bull into the tank did not help.
-----------Andymon
Old 06-29-2007, 10:24 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andymon

Anybody have the final solution for this? I'm having the same problem with a 95 5-speed 5.0. 137000 miles. Worked great for a week after I got it then engine started cutting out intermittantly. Sometimes hot, sometimes cold, sometimes not at all. Finally got to the point where it died once and left me on the side of the road for 15 minutes. Then started up, made it home.
I started checking electrical stuff. Replaced the ignition module, I think (small rectangle thingie with a heatsink on itthat mounts below the air filter housing on the passenger side fender), and the problem did not immediately go away.While troubleshooting an aftermarket alarm, I noticed the problem went away. At this point, I'm assuming it is coincidence. The problem just returned after about a month, and again the engine is cutting out, sometimes for 10 seconds or more on the freeway, then catches again. Tac will go to zero when this happens, even tho i'm in gear. Then it "catches" again, car lurches, and all is well for a while.
Drove the car all day today, went to visit a friend at the hospital, came down to the car, which was parked in the shade, 30 mins later and it would turn over, I could hear the fuel pump, but would not start. Tried for 15 minutes before giving up. Car is still in parking garage, took a friend's car to work...

Could someone break down "Check the TPI module in the dizzy" into moron terms, ie what is TPI and dizzy?
I wanna say I checked the relay last time around, but I'll check it again when I get a chance. Don't relays either work or not work?
Is hearing the fuel pump prime enough to assume that the pump does not need to be replaced? What would be your breakdown for troubleshooting this?
This is a really cool, well cared for, nice running car with a couple itty-bitty issues and this one massive problem. I'm afraid to have it diagnosed, as I'll pay money to have the mechanic drive my car around while it is behaving. You know the drill.

Any help would be much appreciated. Putting Red Bull into the tank did not help.
-----------Andymon
My friend had the same symptoms in his '95....it turned out to be the stator pickup coil inside the distributor.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:54 PM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

My Friend had a 04 mach 1 and had the same problem, car almost killed him doing that **** and dieing out 4 no reason, and my 91 has done it a few times, i dont know if this applies in ur case but in ours we both had after market MAF and in the stock 1s there is a little screen inside there and i guess our cars were getting too much air n not enough gaswhen breaking and that caused them 2 die out we were told cause i guess the screen kind of restricts some air, just a suggestion cause a car dieing out in traffic isnt any fun
Old 06-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Andymon

Aright, I'm gonna try replacing the distributor. Can anybody give me a list of tools I'm gonna need, as I'm gonna try to do this at the hospital if the car doesn't start on its own tomorrow morning. Boy, am I glad I bought a parking pass....
The tools I can think of are:
Sharpie (mark the wires, dist position)
Timing light
What size wrenches/drivers?
Motivator? how hard is it to pull the dist?
Oh, yeah, gotta get a new dist first.
Thanks for the help, always appreciated.
Also, should I even worry about upgrading my distributor since I'm replacing it anyway? Engine is nearly bone stock, but I intend to change that.... What distributor do you recommend?
-------------Andymon

Quick Reply: car quitting every so often!!!!