5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smog pump elimination, can it be done

Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default Smog pump elimination, can it be done

I dont have emmisions and want to get rid of my smog pump and get a shorter belt to eliminate the smog pump and AC. I know the bracket the smog pump is on has to go back, but can the smog pump itself come off that bracket ? Will the car still run fine without the smog pump ?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:01 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Smog pump elimination, can it be done

make sure you plug up the thermactor ports on the back of the heads, most of us just use a 5/8" bolt and thread it in there. The smog CAN be eliminated without a delete kit, I believe the belt length you will need is a 872k6

good luck
Old 08-25-2006, 10:06 PM
95hooptey
3rd Gear Member

someone did mine when I bought it and obviously did not do anything but buy the shorter belt and crimp the hose that goes to the header.

AdderMk2......would this cause my engine light to come on?? I posted last night and could not get a clear answer. Tell me what you know.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:08 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I havent gotten a light from my car, but someone may have removed a component that was needed in your. run a CEL test and pull your codes... see what comes up
Old 08-25-2006, 10:13 PM
95hooptey
3rd Gear Member

Thats the problem..........I tried to run one at autozone today and they could not get one. The guy who rebuilt my tranny said the same thing. However I did have mechanic hook up his code reader under the hood? He said nothing came uP? I hate to say this but I may have to go to FORD on this one. What do you think?

Old 08-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Sacmo
2nd Gear Member

It can be done... Keep in mind, depending on whatever mods have been done, you may get invalid codes.... Ex: pull the smog system and your O2 sensors will start posting codes before to long...
Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 PM
95hooptey
3rd Gear Member

Yea....I don't know what to do next...........I have the "check engine" light on and know the smog is eliminated so thats probably why but I need to get that damm thing turned off now! I also do not know if is affecting anything else in the computer??? My trans is shifting early so?????
Old 08-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Sacmo
2nd Gear Member

Chances are the O2 sensors are causing your check engine light, the only way to stop that is A) put the smog back on or B) put a piece of tape over the light... It is affecting your computer becouse it uses the "readout" from the sensors to determine among other things you fuel/air mixture (leaner/richer)... I'm not an auto trans type but I'm guesing that would cause some changes in the shifting becouse of the engine running a little different...
Old 09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
68 falcon

I just wouund a 5/8x1 coarse bolt into a E7TE head and it split.
Take no one at their word online.

Please tell me what thread that actually is.

thanks,

John.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

The smog pump can be removed from the bracket, and as far as i can tell the car runs fine without it. I dont see how a pump that pumps air to the exhuast would have an effect on how the engine ran.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smog pump elimination, can it be done