5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MAF for sale on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Default MAF for sale on eBay

Is there any reason this 80MM MAF will not work on my 1995 GT? I recently bought some 24# injectors to install, and am seriously considering this MAF. Seller says that it has been calibrated for 24's

check it out and let me know what you think

Another quick question: for those of you who have made the upgrade or know someone who has, typically what does a bigger MAF and injectors give you HP-wise? Here is my mod list for reference:

306 B&P'd
11.2:1 compression (millwork plus valve relief work)
extremely worked over Edelbrock heads (milled decks, milled spring seats, radiused valve bowls, P&P'd to a near mirror finish on both sides of the combustion chamber, port matched on both sides, you name it: chamfered where they need to be chamfered, deburred where they needed it, no hot spots - everything. untold hours of prep on each side. valve train is bullet proof and top of the line)...
E303 cam
1.76 rollers
oversized titanium valves with 5-angle valve job
port matched upper and lower SVT Intake w/port matched 1" spacer
190 lph fuel pump
stock MAF (for now) 80 mm unit about to be purchased
70mm BBK TB
adjustable fuel regulator
19# injectors (for now) 24s purchased and waiting for MAF to install
FRPP hi-flow shorties
O/R H-pipe
Flowmaster 40's w/dumps
King Cobra clutch
T-5
3.73's
Old 09-08-2006, 03:20 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MAF for sale on eBay

You should be fine with an 80, a 75 would be cool also, lo less than 75 though. 70mm tb is perfect.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:21 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

80s kinda big, id look for 75-76mm maf.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:58 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Go with a 90mm Lightning Maf, will help alot. Its more accurate and easier to tune.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:59 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

Go with a 90mm Lightning Maf, will help alot. Its more accurate and easier to tune.
what year lightning? Are those plug and play?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

No You would have to buy the plug from ford. Easy as pie.

Off any 02-04 lighting newer models with SC. Should run you about 300 bucks for everything. But ur gonna prolly need a tune after
Old 09-08-2006, 11:54 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: groundpounder

Is there any reason this 80MM MAF will not work on my 1995 GT? I recently bought some 24# injectors to install, and am seriously considering this MAF. Seller says that it has been calibrated for 24's

check it out and let me know what you think

Another quick question: for those of you who have made the upgrade or know someone who has, typically what does a bigger MAF and injectors give you HP-wise? Here is my mod list for reference:
This topic is very confusing, but here is the real deal...

That MAF will not work without a custom tune!!!
Ford MAF meters are not cal'd to an injector size, they are cal'd to the computer.
That ad is pretty misleading.
Scratch that, it is flat out lying.

The same thing applies to the LMAF, it is cal'd to the computer not the injector size.

Also, the Ford 80mm and LMAF all use a rectangular plug. This is easy to deal with, as the plugs are available.

Stock on your 95GT is a 70mm MAF.
If you want to use the 24lb injectors the 2 options are to get an aftermarket MAF (C&L, Pro-M, etc.), OR get a custom tune.
If you decide on a custom tune, realize that the car will not be drivable until the tune is done. You will not be able to install the MAF at home, and then drive to the dyno shop. The car will not run.

You may be ok with the stock MAF for a while, but there is no real down side to going bigger on the MAF.

If it were me...
Low Budget -
I would look for a used C&L, regardless of the calibration. A C&L can be recal'd by simply changing the sample tube in the MAF. This is a $30 part last I heard. The C&L is designed to work with the stock MAS (the little black box on the MAF tube).

Significant Budget -
Pick up any new MAF cal'd for your computer and desired injectors. Pro-M has a reputation for being more reliable, but C&L is MUCH better than most people say.

If this did not make sense let me know. I think it is important for people to understand the difference between aftermarket and Ford MAF meters.
Good Luck,
jason
Old 09-09-2006, 04:46 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Well explained, my car didnt run at all with the LMAF, I drove to the dyno shop and got a tune and got it running and then fined tune, but it was totally work it.

The C&L I had before had issues with idleing, and reading a proper signal. The LMAF was alot more accurate and easyier to tune.

If you have the money and assets, go with the LMAF. You wont be sorry.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:49 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

ORIGINAL: vristang
This topic is very confusing, but here is the real deal...

That MAF will not work without a custom tune!!!
Ford MAF meters are not cal'd to an injector size, they are cal'd to the computer.
That ad is pretty misleading.
Scratch that, it is flat out lying.

The same thing applies to the LMAF, it is cal'd to the computer not the injector size.

Also, the Ford 80mm and LMAF all use a rectangular plug. This is easy to deal with, as the plugs are available.

Stock on your 95GT is a 70mm MAF.
If you want to use the 24lb injectors the 2 options are to get an aftermarket MAF (C&L, Pro-M, etc.), OR get a custom tune.
If you decide on a custom tune, realize that the car will not be drivable until the tune is done. You will not be able to install the MAF at home, and then drive to the dyno shop. The car will not run.

You may be ok with the stock MAF for a while, but there is no real down side to going bigger on the MAF.

If it were me...
Low Budget -
I would look for a used C&L, regardless of the calibration. A C&L can be recal'd by simply changing the sample tube in the MAF. This is a $30 part last I heard. The C&L is designed to work with the stock MAS (the little black box on the MAF tube).

Significant Budget -
Pick up any new MAF cal'd for your computer and desired injectors. Pro-M has a reputation for being more reliable, but C&L is MUCH better than most people say.

If this did not make sense let me know. I think it is important for people to understand the difference between aftermarket and Ford MAF meters.
Good Luck,
jason
vri, I wish I could have caught you before this auction was over. I bought the MAF but I am not too worried as I am going to the Illinois Dyno Center for a chip, tune and nitrous install soon anyway. From your reply, I am thinking that will take care of what I need, correct?

I hate being misled by buyers on eBay! [:@] I thought that an OEM MAF was calibrated to the computer, too, but I wasn't sure. That's why I came here and asked before I bought. After reading the description, talking to the seller via e-mail and posting here, I was under the impression that this was going to be plug-and-play. That is clearly not the case and I am not surprised. What it does is delay the MAF install until I get over to IL Dyno Center. [&:] I can think of worse things.

Budget is not really a huge concern, but I know how to check a buck and was caught thinking, "Why in the hell would I spend hundreds on a Pro-M or C&L when I can pick this up for about half a c-note and the guy (and some understandably misinformed dudes here) is telling me it's plug-and-play?" Who wouldn't do that?

Am I reading your reply correctly in that I can install the 24's with the stock computer and 70MM MAF, I just won't see max benefit until I install (and custom tune) the OEM 80MM MAF I am now the proud owner of? Please clarify if you don't mind.

And I'll restate one question: what kind of power gain with a properly tuned 80MM MAF and 24's will I see over stock (70/19) given my modification list? It doesn't really matter since I am going to have the car professionally custom tuned, but I am wondering what others have experienced.
Thanks a LOT, buddy! you da TROOF!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:42 AM
mpswirl
2nd Gear Member

I wish i knew you needed one because i have a lmaf new never used.

Quick Reply: MAF for sale on eBay