5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP ! C4 torque Converte

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 06:15 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP ! C4 torque Converte

I have to get a torque converter tonight or very early tomorrow because the guy coming to put in my transmission tomorrow morning. Here is my problem. The guy at the hotrod store said i have to get a torque converter witha 10" bolt pattern. I've drove to a few auto part stores and none of them can find one, Only ones with 10.44 or 10.5 and like 9.3 or something. What should I do!? Will another one work? This sucks, I really want to get it running by tomorrow . Is this guy correct ? He also told me I had to have a 50oz flywheel instead of a 26oz , which I went ahead and bought from him. Does anyone have any suggestions cause I gotta get this thing by tomorrow morning.</P>
Old 06-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Turtle

This reply is really late but mabye it might do some good. You could try a transmission shop. They should be able to get you whatever you need. Auto shops are usually pretty general, but trans shops specialize in these kind of things. I have a 84' 5.0 and I put in a B&M 2400. This was ordered from Summit and I had no problem with bolting it on. If you look at the bottom of the camshaft pages in Summit they will tell you about what stahl speed you should have with what cam. I don't know if this helps. Sorry. I have the stock flywheel and have had no problems so far.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:05 AM
makarovboy
2nd Gear Member

I could be wrong (and I am quite often), but putting a 50oz converter plate on a 26oz balanced motor does not sound good. That is the balance weight of all the rotating assemblies in the motor, not just one piece. Could be trouble.

As far as the numbers stated by the auto parts store guys, I believe they're referring to converter diameter, not bolt pattern. Turtle is right, go to a good tranny shop (high performance) and ask some questions.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:43 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate the replies but I ended up getting the flywheel from a hotrod place in town and the torque converter fromadvanced auto. It's a B&amp;M but it's stock stall because I have stock camandheads Everything fits perfectly .Thanks for the help though.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:16 AM
makarovboy
2nd Gear Member

Good for you, ragnarok. A little research goes a long way, and you learn as you go. I still am, and I'm older than dirt.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:36 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

hopefully it works ! Just becase it fits good doesn't mean it won't blow up on me haha. I think it'll be ok. I bought the flywheel first then took it to advacd and talked to a guy there who builds mustangs and drags them here at our local strip. he uses c4's alot and he knew exactly what i needed. So I'm fairly confident he ordered the right one. I thought i'de have my car going for sure by now but I ran into a few more snags this weekend. Should be on the road very soon though. All thats left it putting the C4 in and hooking up the kicdown and throttle linkages. Then I have to put my shifter in and I'm in buisness. I bought B&amp;M's Star shifter. Looks great but I wonder how good it works. Anyone familiar with it? It has ratchet mode and normal mode.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:37 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know where I can get a filler tube for my tranny? See the problem is that it is a C4 from a truck so the tube goes into the pan and not the case. It screws into the pan. Anyway I can't put the damn thing in until I can find a tube for it and I don't know where to get one. I don' thinka junkyard would let me seperate the tube from one of their trannies . I have heard that Lokar might have them , does anyone know?</P>