5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clunk from the rear end..any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:35 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default Clunk from the rear end..any ideas?

So somtimes when I'm driving and shifting gears, as I let the clutch out sometimes I can feel a clunk. Usually its not severe but once or twice since I've bought the car it gave me a shake. I'm just curious what it could be. I'm replacing my clutch and throwout bearing cause the bearing scrapes when letting the clutch out. Could this be any type of contributing factor?

Symptoms:
Usually happens when letting the clutch out on a first start in reverse or when shifting into third or fourth driving.
Only happens after the gear shift has happened and the cluch is being let out.

Worst case scenario...if this is coming from my rear end, whats the cheapest way to go about fixing or replacing? I don't think that the transmission would cause a clunk when I let the clutch out.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:48 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Clunk from the rear end..any ideas?

might be a tranny mount or a rear u-joint
Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Your centersection could be rotating up and hitting... is your pinion angle correct? Did you change your control arms???
Old 09-08-2006, 07:51 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PONY GUY

How could a tranny mount cause this?

U-join is that cross shaped thing that connects the rear end to the drive shaft, right? How would that cause a clunk..is it possible to get play in a u-joint to cause the clunk?

Randy - I have no idea what any of that means . The rear end and any suspension parts have never been messed with. Whats the centersection and what could it be hitting?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:56 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VigCS

ORIGINAL: PONY GUY

How could a tranny mount cause this?

U-join is that cross shaped thing that connects the rear end to the drive shaft, right? How would that cause a clunk..is it possible to get play in a u-joint to cause the clunk?

Randy - I have no idea what any of that means . The rear end and any suspension parts have never been messed with. Whats the centersection and what could it be hitting?
Nerver mind then... check your u-joints then... yes, they can make noise as well....
Old 09-08-2006, 08:01 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Can a bad u join make a clunk you can feel? or is it just noise? Cause this is a clunk you can feel.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Can a bad u join make a clunk you can feel? or is it just noise? Cause this is a clunk you can feel.
I dont know about "feel"... did you lower your car? If so, you did in fact alter your suspension... put your car on jack stands an get under it an try to rotate your drive shaft... see if you have play at the u-joint...
Old 09-08-2006, 08:18 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy78045

I dont know about "feel"... did you lower your car? If so, you did in fact alter your suspension... put your car on jack stands an get under it an try to rotate your drive shaft... see if you have play at the u-joint...
Okay. I can't do that until tomorrow unfortunately. The only thing with this is that if there is play in the u-joint it should be there all the time. This clunk only happens maybe once in a 30 minute driving session. The frequency can vary randomly, though.

No, my car has the stock ride height. Whats the worst case scenario with this clunk? I'm honestly not too worried because every time I think theres a huge problem it turns out to be small.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:20 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy78045

Okay. I can't do that until tomorrow unfortunately. No, my car has the stock ride height. Whats the worst case scenario with this clunk? I'm honestly not too worried because every time I think theres a huge problem it turns out to be small.
Well it seems youve eliminated every thing but the u-joint...
Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

I do know that the car had the shocks replaced before I bought it, but I don't think that would cause anything.

How hard is u-joint replacement? How hard would it be to change in my driveway?

Quick Reply: Clunk from the rear end..any ideas?