5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Factory Five Kit Car from a 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:46 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

Default Factory Five Kit Car from a 5.0

so ive been really looking into this. i was talking to a guy at an auto show that had an AC Cobra built from a kit by these guys

http://www.factoryfive.com/

the car was beautiful. the kit is made so you take a stock 5.0 (or any 87-04 stang) and thats all you need. you take the engine, drivetrain, suspension... everything and it goes right in the kit.

from what he said, you need to buy the kit (13k) and a working 5.0 (~4k) and thats all you need, aside from painting it. its so simplistic, it comes with all the interior crap that you would need, and basically its some bucket seats, a shifter, and a steering wheel. just what i want.

the best part is, with this kit, you open yourself up to all the aftermarket crap for a fox, which is unlimited. the car also is about 2000 lbs... so you drop a 351 into a 2000lb car with some AFR heads... hollllyyy ****...

what ya guys think?

EDIT: oh yeah, they also say on their site, there is no welding, or fab work needed. the frame and body come all premade
Old 09-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Factory Five Kit Car from a 5.0

My opinion is to buy either a completely totaled car or buy aftermarket. Its just not right to take a perfect 5.0 and rob it of its parts.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:20 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boss_Hotrod

My opinion is to buy either a completely totaled car or buy aftermarket. Its just not right to take a perfect 5.0 and rob it of its parts.
id prolly get a car with a blown engine, considering id wanna get a 351 for it
Old 09-10-2006, 11:08 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

ive ben to there factory its sweet, also 14k is for the low model one, the price go up depending on the options u want, like independent rear susption ect. there sweet when there done. yea u can use all parts off a fox. it also cost more if u want the body prepped and everything. and its not a simple project its take some people years to finish them.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:16 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rydinturbo

ive ben to there factory its sweet, also 14k is for the low model one, the price go up depending on the options u want, like independent rear susption ect. there sweet when there done. yea u can use all parts off a fox. it also cost more if u want the body prepped and everything. and its not a simple project its take some people years to finish them.
im planning on it taking a long time. but thats just the point. i wanna learn how to build a car from the ground up, and this is a great way to do it, cuz it uses all fox parts, i wont have to fab or hunt for them. to add, itll keep me buisy, and when im done i can take alot of pride in it. the best part is, itll be unique.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 AM
ibanezta

that's wut im doing eventually with mine. my chasis is getting old, and i have torque box cracks developing. so if stuff gets worse...cobra here i come. cant go wrong when you have the car already. 12,500 for the basic kit and you get a bad *** car that will beat almost anything in all departments with after market parts on it. i just dont see any reason not to. lol
Old 09-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

My uncle actually has one of the Factory Five Cobras. It's a pretty nice kit. But it doesn't go together like you expect. As far as cheap, I know he's got over $40,000 in it. He did buy a $10,000 crate motor, but you're not seeing the big picture. If you want to learn how to build a car, start small and find a ragged on Fox. Then restore it.

It's all about how much money you have. Don't ever plan on a car project being cheap. A good rule of thumb is to calculate the cost, then double it. Because if you've never done it before, then you can't imagine the things you haven't thought of yet.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:28 PM
DriftingRz
2nd Gear Member

i think that may be the kit a friend of mine and his dad are doing, they've got the cobra in tehre garage, and there throwing in a 5.0 302
Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sidewayz6.0

My uncle actually has one of the Factory Five Cobras. It's a pretty nice kit. But it doesn't go together like you expect. As far as cheap, I know he's got over $40,000 in it. He did buy a $10,000 crate motor, but you're not seeing the big picture. If you want to learn how to build a car, start small and find a ragged on Fox. Then restore it.

It's all about how much money you have. Don't ever plan on a car project being cheap. A good rule of thumb is to calculate the cost, then double it. Because if you've never done it before, then you can't imagine the things you haven't thought of yet.
That sounds like it couldnt possibly be true but I know from experience that it is!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:22 AM
ibanezta

well...it really depends on what you want. it can be done for 12k-15k if you have a car or get one for cheap that has all the parts in full working condition and you dont have to buy any new parts to get them in. i know building a car is a whole different world then just doing mods, but these guys have made it to where if you know how to work on a car, then you can build one of these. ive seen them sell on e-bay for 40-70k. that of course depends on the parts they have, but id rather start with a chasis that in the end will weigh 2055 as a built car then start with a mustang that will way at least 1300 pounds over that. plus the cobra will be worth much more in the end. the parts will cost the same as building a mustang, but you'd only get a fraction out of the mustang when you try to sell it. you can get the price it cost you to build te cobra if you decide to sell.