5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Supercharger or Turbo for a 5.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 09:29 PM
91GT5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger or Turbo for a 5.

It can be. It depends. If you want a whole kit, then it can get up to $4000+, but there have been people who have made turbo setups that put their car into 11's for under $500. That's using turbo's off of junkcars, i.e., two t3's from T-bird Turbocoupes, ther's plenty of other cars as well. Go to Turbomustangs.com, there's a ton of information there.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:08 AM
gotspeed87

superchargers & turbos have different qualities,turbos dont take power from the motor but have lag,superchargers dont have lag but take power from the motor its up to you the supercharger route is cheaper than the turbo because of the exotic exhaust work & ignition system,so personaly i would go w/ the supercharger,either a powerdyne for good power & excellent relibility or a procharger for mega power
Old 03-15-2003, 04:28 PM
91GT5.0
2nd Gear Member

Actually, it depends what type of supercharger you have. A roots-type blower doesn't lag, boost is there as soon as you step on the throttle, but centrifugal (sp?) chargers do take time to spool, though I'm not sure whether or not they take longer than turbos. And then again, it depends on what size turbo you have as far as lag goes, there are some that make boost as low as 2000 RPM's, some sooner, but those are the one's that run out of breath towards the top of the tach.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:44 PM
Tangerine GT

Turbo setup is pretty simple. Assuming you're gonna keep it a daily driver, there's not a whole lot you eed to change. Some 1.6 ratio rockers, a Ford e-303 cam, new valve springs with retainers, new lifters, and a new timing chain set. All of this should be added before purchasing the turbo kit. The car will idle nicely have a bit more acceleration to it.

When you do get a kit, you should buy some bigger injectors (30 lb. or 36 lb.) You might need a new fuel pump and FMU as well, but most kits come with these. As far as mufflers go when you're turbo charging you want as much flow possible in the exhaust so chambered mufflers aren't really ideal, you're gonna want some Dynomax superturbos. They have a straight-through flow design and only cost $35 a muffler. They open up the most power with your turrbo and reduce alot of back pressure.

If you're looking to spend alot of cash and making more than 13 boost, you're gonna want to get some low-compression forged pistons, forged rods, and forged crankshaft. Some people also like changing their intake manifolds and heads also but the stock ones can handle around 13psi of boost. 13 boost can be quite nice on performance if set up properly and have little lag... but if you're aiming for high hp like the 700+ range you'll n eed these things as well.

After its all setup a good chip will be needed for the air/fuel ratios and Diablo Sport makes the best reprogrammable chip for mustangs.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:18 PM
ROBERT420

a turbo isnt really FREE power! A turbo will create more than normal backpressure in your car. By doing so, actually loses power before boost kicks in. Its called parasitic loss. Also, the heat that comes out from a turbo is MUCH HOTTER than a supercharger. I would pick a supercharger for daily driving, but if its power your looking for on the track, probly turbo.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

this kid here did it with a stock motor and ran high 11s for 1500 bucks with a turbo setup
http://www.turbomustangs.com/robd
Old 12-08-2003, 04:24 PM
BoostedStallion
1st Gear Member

www.proturbokits.com</P>
Old 12-09-2003, 11:45 PM
jhogan2424
2nd Gear Member

I have a vortech supercharger on my 93 notch. I don't know what trim it is cause it was on the car when I bought it but it realy pushes this car down the track. I have had a lot of problems with the car it's self but NO problems with the charger. The only problem I've had out ofthe charger isthe belt slips at high rpm's. I've tried everything to get it to stop slipping but it still does. Even with it slipping past 5,000 rpm's I ran a best of7.42 in the 1/8th mile. Don't know my 1/4 time casuse the closest 1/4 mile track is over an hour away and I just haven't had the time to make it over there yet. Does anyone know my estimated 1/4 time with an 1/8 time of 7.42?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

7.42 1/8 mile = 12.15 ET
Old 12-10-2003, 02:12 AM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

Originally Posted by ROBERT420
a turbo isnt really FREE power! A turbo will create more than normal backpressure in your car. By doing so, actually loses power before boost kicks in. Its called parasitic loss. Also, the heat that comes out from a turbo is MUCH HOTTER than a supercharger. I would pick a supercharger for daily driving, but if its power your looking for on the track, probly turbo.
</P>

in additiontoyou being a total assclown for even replying to such an old topic...i must say...you're wrong. parasitic means it's feeding off something else. turbo is not parasitic...it may cause power loss, yes, but it is <U>not</U> parasitic.</P>

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo for a 5.