5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

maaco paint jobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 09:25 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

Default RE: maaco paint jobs

Beware The Primer Race Car
Old 10-01-2006, 11:09 PM
10732gt
1st Gear Member

i have painted motor homes for monaco and newmar and gulf stream for the last 10 years paint is in the prep job sand it down flat bar it prime it and sand again it goes on forever
then u need a good combo dont mix match paint systems dupont dimont ppg all have a system some are cheep some are not people dont relize how much paint cost 1 gallon of a red can cost 800.00 now you reduce it and get 2 gallons that is enough to paint the entire car then you need clear same deal buy a gallon and reduce it clear can run into 400.00
bucks if its got a uv protector lets not forget the flex agent for the plastic and self eiching primer for the bare metal and sealer its not as easy as it sounds 400.00 is cheep paint
and someone who dosent care you will imo have runs to sand and buff out if you dont burn threw find some one who works in a paint shop they can hook you up they can get the stuff for little or nothing and give them 500.00 and wow you got a nice paint job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:40 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

JD 1969-Your entitled to your opinion I suppose[&o]
Old 10-02-2006, 02:01 AM
WOTdaddy

best deals i find on paint are at local vo cational tech schools, yeah its students wanting to learn and it takes longer, but you get a professional, good enough to educate others supervising the entire project till its right, the vocational teck school here paints them for materials and not much more as schools get frowned upon for making a profit, the deal is you buy them something they need and can use, bulk sandpaper, boxes full, lots of tape, masking paper, the stuff the school skimps on . It has worked for me for years, buy them all pizza lunch, have it deliverd every wed fri type thing, the other option is take classes at the school yourself and slip it in as a class project, good luck, i would only go macco if i did all the prep myself, pulled it all apart, got it primed, everything but the spray, then i would still be scared. and your saying black, it will show every dent that gets missed. even if its almost perfect it is going to stick out, just the way shiny black is. good luck
Old 10-02-2006, 10:21 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

come on we are talking about a cool ride here save your money and get it painted by a real professional.if you got a sun faded work car go to maaco. most of the time you get what you pay for unless you know someone. but for 2000 it better look good not show car quality maybe but not where you can see flaws either.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:47 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: BlueDemon

JD 1969-Your entitled to your opinion I suppose[&o]
Hey I am not trying to be a dick here at all. I just would hate to see sombody make a costly mistake. I understand that I have pretty high standards and that sometimes people cannot afford a real exspesive paint job (which is the reason I paint my cars, I can't afford to pay to have it done for sure). But lets call a spade a spade here, and Maaco is OK if you just want a quikie paint job for dirt cheap, a person must also realize what they are getting and what to exspect.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:01 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

most def agree with jd, i knew a guy from a local shop and got my car done for 2100, it was blasted to the bare metal, blocked, sprayed double cleared wetsanded, pinstriped, bumper inserts painted on, new door pins, all for that price. but my paint job was immaculate, def spend the extra cash if u really care about ur car.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:22 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: dc_mann8

most def agree with jd, i knew a guy from a local shop and got my car done for 2100, it was blasted to the bare metal, blocked, sprayed double cleared wetsanded, pinstriped, bumper inserts painted on, new door pins, all for that price. but my paint job was immaculate, def spend the extra cash if u really care about ur car.
HOLY CRAP your alive, how you been man?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:25 AM
5.0coupe
3rd Gear Member

Yes they are definetly hit and miss.. but when i wrecked my car i found this guy and we repainted my car from that cranberry red to black is his garage.. his does body work and i learned so damn much.. but the crappy part is that im like his slave for a while b/w i got it done so cheap. I got ppg paint and clear coat for under 500 dollars.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:12 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

I didn't think you were being a "dick"--you were just speaking your mind. But your right,some people can't afford to pay more than a couple thousand $'s. Thats why I had to go to Maaco. If you would of seen my stang before, you would think that the paint job I got from Maaco looked a hundred times better. But as I always say "each to their own" All that matters is that I'm happy with it

Quick Reply: maaco paint jobs