5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

97 mustang questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:34 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

Default RE: "NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE"?

ORIGINAL: trickdriller
On another note, how is the performance of a stock 97 GT? This will be my first mustang and the only ones I have riden in are the 2000 or newer. How is the acceleration on the earlier ones? Will it get up and move like the 2000 models will? ANY input at all would be great.

Thanks a lot

You know the car is a 4.6 and not a 5.0 right? The '97 had had 215hp and the 99+ had 250hp, so it's not going to be as fast.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:16 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i goto school in ohio at one of the top 3 automotive schools in the counrty and my parents live in michigan... i'm going there this weekend and i could go take a look at the car for you if you want and no the odometer on a 97 goes in to the 100,000 mark. if you get ahold of the guy i'll gladly look at the car if it's with in an hour of 48137 zip
ORIGINAL: trickdriller

I have not looked at the car yet. It is in Michigan, and I am in DC so when I look at it, I had better be sure I want it. About the odometer thing, does the meter only go to 99,999 in a 97? I didn't think it did, but I could be wrong. Also, if I go and look at it, what am I looking/listening for? Knocks I can understand, but what about the high idle? What does that mean? Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for? I like the car, with the exception of the grey interior, and I will buy it if all is well (especially with only 50k miles).

On another note, how is the performance of a stock 97 GT? This will be my first mustang and the only ones I have riden in are the 2000 or newer. How is the acceleration on the earlier ones? Will it get up and move like the 2000 models will? ANY input at all would be great.

Thanks a lot
Old 10-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Sacmo
2nd Gear Member

As for the idle, I've seen guys bump up the idle to mask over low idle problems such as rough idle (or won't idle), ignition problems, it can even cover up knocking noises if the engine noise is louder... That can be caused by bad sensors, computer, wiring or worse...
Old 10-02-2006, 06:18 PM
xtremewheelz
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, I am the one with the "not actual mileage" car for sale being talked about here. I'll gladly answer any questions anybody might have to try to clear the problem up. Like I have told people, I do not know why the title says this. The odometer has not rolled over 100,000 because like 94gtcoupe said there is indeed a spot for the 100,000 to show. The car does not have a salvage title either. In Michigan the titles are green and when they become salvage titles (whether rebuilt or not I believe) they are yellow in color I think. I know for a fact they are a different color, I just cannot remember the exact color. As for it being a new motor, I do not know. The spark plug wires are original. In fact they have 1997 right on them from when the car was new from Ford. The speedometer does actually work as well. I don't know if at some point down the road it was broke and then fixed perhaps, but it does work accuratley now. If anybody has any other questions feel free to ask, I will gladly answer any. Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

hey extrem go ahead and pm me your number i was going to look at the car for the guy on this thread since i have a considerable about on knowledge and i live a lot closer to you than the guy that started this thread
Old 10-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Erich in Az

Carfax will often show a mileage trend. If it crept up to 100k, then back to 50k at the next entry, that might wave a flag. Carfax isn't perfect, but it's better than a guess if you are serious about selling, or buying it
Old 03-12-2007, 09:36 PM
joeoo99
2nd Gear Member

I live in Jackson MI. I have a 97 Mustang Automatic.
I have to say that here in Michigan you can do a title search through the Secretary of State. The Mileage could be the result of many things. One is along the way on changing sellers the miles were different from title to title. But who knows, do the title search and find the seller and ask that person what the deal is. I am guessing that the car was not purchased from the last owner or we would all know why the miles is not right on the title.

Joe
Old 03-12-2007, 09:56 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: joeoo99

I live in Jackson MI. I have a 97 Mustang Automatic.
I have to say that here in Michigan you can do a title search through the Secretary of State. The Mileage could be the result of many things. One is along the way on changing sellers the miles were different from title to title. But who knows, do the title search and find the seller and ask that person what the deal is. I am guessing that the car was not purchased from the last owner or we would all know why the miles is not right on the title.

Joe
we generally try not to dig up 5 month old threads around here...