5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cooling System Issues... Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:30 PM
fish2222

Default Cooling System Issues... Help!!!

I have a question for all of you 5.0 guru's running around out there. I think, but am not sure, that maybe my 86 5.0 has a little issue. I have a very hard time getting the air out of the system, and it seems that if I dont take the gauge temp sensor loose a bit to let the air out there, my gauge goes nuts. My question is this. On the EGR cooling lines, the one that comes off the back of the EGR goes to the back of the intake/block (not sure which one), never seems to be wet inside, and if I blow through the hose that goes to the intake/block, I can't blow through this hose at all. Shouldnt this be able to pass water/coolant all the time? I hooked up a new water temp gauge this weekend, and it seems that the car will warm up to 200 or so, and just sit there. The gauge doesnt seem to move even when the thermostat should open. I have a 192 thermostat in it right now. Any ideas? I am more worried about that EGR line possibly being blocked, but any help would be great!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:46 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cooling System Issues... Help!!!

well normal operating temp is 200 degrees, and a 192 will yield a 200 reading, if you ran a 180* tstat which is recmmended you'd be a little lower, does the temp guage move from 130-200 between startup and operating temp? the EGR is an emissions recycling system there shouldnt be any coolant in it. as for blowing air though it.... i'm not sure how you'd tell. But if it was clogged/blocked the check engine light would be on. Has your car overheated? Have you burped the system?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:46 AM
fish2222

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

well normal operating temp is 200 degrees, and a 192 will yield a 200 reading, if you ran a 180* tstat which is recmmended you'd be a little lower, does the temp guage move from 130-200 between startup and operating temp? the EGR is an emissions recycling system there shouldnt be any coolant in it. as for blowing air though it.... i'm not sure how you'd tell. But if it was clogged/blocked the check engine light would be on. Has your car overheated? Have you burped the system?
It sits about 200 and rises to about 210 when I put my foot in it. I am just surprised not to see a change when the thermostat opens. As for the EGR, I am talking the EGR coolant hoses that are supposed to cool the exhaust down so it doesnt overheat the intake. They just have no coolant in them at all it seems and they are supposed to.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:50 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

You may have a circulation problem/blockage, but the egr passage lines will not cause the problem. What does the inside of the rad look like and are you using the stock fan or electric?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:22 AM
fish2222

I am using a stock fan, and the rad is brand new.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

jack the car up in the front with the wheels off the gorund 3-4 inches , take the cap off the rad turn the heater on . Turn on the car let if run let ti idle at 1500-2000 rpm when the coolant rises and overflows out of the rad the air bubble will be gone. Air travels to teh highest point when traped soemtime you goto elavate teh fill point ofr the system for it to excape
Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fish2222

It sits about 200 and rises to about 210 when I put my foot in it. I am just surprised not to see a change when the thermostat opens. As for the EGR, I am talking the EGR coolant hoses that are supposed to cool the exhaust down so it doesnt overheat the intake. They just have no coolant in them at all it seems and they are supposed to.
Are you sure you mean to say EGR, and not throttle body spacer? I've never seen any coolant lines running near my EGR valve.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:53 AM
fish2222

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Are you sure you mean to say EGR, and not throttle body spacer? I've never seen any coolant lines running near my EGR valve.
Which ever one you want to call it, its the coolant hoses that go to the intake that cool the exhaust gases in the intake. It goes right next to the EGR valve on the spacer, yes.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

I have a question for all of you 5.0 guru's running around out there. I think, but am not sure, that maybe my 86 5.0 has a little issue. I have a very hard time getting the air out of the system, and it seems that if I dont take the gauge temp sensor loose a bit to let the air out there, my gauge goes nuts. My question is this. On the EGR cooling lines, the one that comes off the back of the EGR goes to the back of the intake/block (not sure which one), never seems to be wet inside, and if I blow through the hose that goes to the intake/block, I can't blow through this hose at all. Shouldnt this be able to pass water/coolant all the time? I hooked up a new water temp gauge this weekend, and it seems that the car will warm up to 200 or so, and just sit there. The gauge doesnt seem to move even when the thermostat should open. I have a 192 thermostat in it right now. Any ideas? I am more worried about that EGR line possibly being blocked, but any help would be great!
Your temps sound about right for a 192 stat.
However you should be cautious of getting the temps too high.

It may be a good idea to step down to a 180 stat, even though I would not personally recommend or do it that way myself.

I prefer to keep the coolant temps close to or just over 200F.

Check the rest of the system for problem areas.
How long does the temp spike last after you get on it?
When was the last time you flushed the coolant system?
What coolant mix are you running? (slightly more water will help, but stay within 60/40 to 40/60).

I would guess that the rad is starting to plug up a little, or there is some build up in the block/heads.

Good Luck,
jason
Old 10-04-2006, 12:38 AM
fish2222

I just put in a new water pump and thermostat last week, and I am running probably closer to a 70/30 water/af mix. I completely flushed out the block and heater core when I did this, and the radiator is only about 4 weeks old, and probably only has less than 4 hours of total running time. I think I am just going to take the thermostat back out since all I use the car for is bracket racing anyway. It was much more consistant time wise with it out last time I ran it that way. I am just concerned more about that EGR coolant hose than anything else though.

Quick Reply: Cooling System Issues... Help!!!