5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stalling Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:24 PM
83FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stalling Engine

Wow, I really got responses now.

One thing, I dont have cats, so that is not the problem.

If the problem is Vapor Lock, I heard that there is a fluid you can pour in you tank to fix that. Is this true? Also, what causes vapor lock?

What is a duraspark box? Never heard of that...

I doubt something is clogging the lines, because the problem definitely occurs after 10 minutes of driving, clears up after cooling, then starts again when warm.

Randy, I cant afford a dyno lol.

Tokin, I can try a carb spacer, but I will need to cut a hole in my hood for the air cleaner clearance. Also, this is my second 83, and both have had the same hood. I'm sure you could pull one off a parted stang.

I will also try the vacuum advance too, since that is a cheap fix. I was hoping to not have to replace the distributor.

Thanks guys.

any following feedback would be appreciated.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:29 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

If you cant afford a dyno, then if all else fails, jet up your primaries a little... it is getting cooler...
Old 10-06-2006, 06:37 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

vapor lock is caused when the gas in the lines gets heated to the point where it boils and creates pockets of vaporized fuel in the line. the carb cant do anything with gas that is not in its liquid state, so the car sputters dead. another fix you can try(didnt have to get to this point myself) is to install a cool can(not sure of the exact terminology, im sure somebody here does). its just a pit stop for the fuel lines, runs it through a can filled with ice/water.

my 83 isnt a gt, but with the ford racing air cleaner(dont know about the stock one) i still have underhood clearance running a 1" spacer.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:44 PM
red85gt
1st Gear Member

If you suspect it's a fuel delivery problem, when it does it, shut it down and pull the air cleaner. Work the throttle linkage and see if you can see steady streams of fuel going down the throat of the carb. If you do, I would next check for a weak spark. The duraspark box is your ignition module. It's on the drivers side inner fender ahead of the shock. These have a tendancy to be funky when they get hot apparently.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Here's something noone has mentioned yet. Cheap/easy to check too

After the car warms up, check the butterfly on the carb. If the choke thermostat is stuck or not working it will suffocate the car when warm.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:00 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Here's something noone has mentioned yet. Cheap/easy to check too

After the car warms up, check the butterfly on the carb. If the choke thermostat is stuck or not working it will suffocate the car when warm.
Good call...
Old 10-06-2006, 07:40 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

another thing that should be asked...when did it start doing this¿ was it all on its own, a gradual happening to a more common one¿ does it always do it, after restarting how long can you drive before happening again¿ the more info you can give us about the situation, the more likely it is someone will be able to help you out
Old 10-06-2006, 09:32 PM
88ragtop
3rd Gear Member

I dont mean to highjack this thread but I too am having problems with my 88 stang not wanting to start after its been warmed up. Everything was fine till I switched the stock intake for the Hollysystemax II intake. It ran real rich so I changed from the SD setup to mass air(a9l computer). Well that took care of it running rich and it worked out great, runs smooth now. But when I shut it off it wont start back up. Ive changed the TFI module, with no luck. And I am getting spark. I really dont know what to do next. Help anyone?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:44 PM
83FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

I have had the car for about 5 months, and it just started doing this about a week ago. It was coming on in ease, but rather suddenly.

Oh, and I am running an edelbrock air cleaner, with minimal clearance right now (for Tokin).

I think I will check to see if fuel is spraying in after the problem occurs. My issue is that it generally happens when I have no shoulder to pull off onto.

Thanks guys
Old 10-26-2006, 02:53 PM
83FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

So, because it is raining up here in Washington (whats new), I havent been able to get under the car and check the fuel line locations relative to the exhaust. The thing that always boggled my mind, is that it never did this in the summer time, when the exhaust probably got hotter.

Anyhow, after breaking stalling 2-3 times on the way to work and 3-4 on the way home every day, I finally fixed the problem.

....I put more gas in it. Apparently the other gas was bad, or something. It hadnt sat in the car, since the car is a DD. I think I bought the gas from Arco, which I usually dont do. Either way, I put a fresh tank in, and the car runs fine now.

So, the problem wasnt vapor lock, but bad gas.

Anyone experience problems with this? So much so that it made your car barely run, or even stall out like mine?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Stalling Engine