5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

give me some pointers on this sea foam!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default give me some pointers on this sea foam!

I just bought a bottle, just one bottle..

i plan on putting it in everything i can. If that isnt enough, where should i put it most important?

I have a intake leak which is pretty bad(im just telling incase it could mess it up reallllly bad)

Hmm, can this sea foam do anything bad to my car? I CANNOT have it mess it up, this car gets me to school and to work and if its not running im screwed..
Old 10-13-2006, 04:20 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: give me some pointers on this sea foam!

Generally, it can only realyl mess things up that were screwed up before. For example, lets say you have really crappy plugs that are covered in carbon deposits. Sometimes this carbon may actualyl be helping the gap / spark, LoL. And if you take it away then you're screwed. Of course, in an example like that it obviously means they should have been changed anyway!

I wouldn't worry about it. I just ran some through myself a few days ago. 1/3 in the brake booster vacuum line, 1/3 in the crankcase, 1/3 in the gas tank. Let her sit 10 - 20 minutes then fire it up. Let it burn some and take it for a short spin while hitting WOT a few times.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:20 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't put it in everything you can . I always suck up about a can of the stuff, let it sit for half an hour (sometimes longer), start it up, and let it idle until the smoke is gone. I've heard that it isn't good to drive around while it's still smoking, dunno why.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:21 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

I wouldn't put it in everything you can . I always suck up about a can of the stuff, let it sit for half an hour (sometimes longer), start it up, and let it idle until the smoke is gone. I've heard that it isn't good to drive around while it's still smoking, dunno why.
Probably not good because you are creating a hazard, LoL. That's something the police can stop you for and it can be a REAL issue to other vehicles on the road. Luckily, I had the chance to drive it down a dead little street that's rarely used.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

well my engine is kind of old. 107k on it, im scared it will mess up alot of stuff..but i did just change the plugs and wires a couple days ago so i dont have to worry about that!

Where is the crank case? and the brake booster vacuum line?[]
Old 10-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

i also live in a really high class neighboorhood..i dont think ill be able to drive my car as the stuff is in. can i just sit in the driveway and rev my motor so that it can clean the injectors?

Because on the seafoam website it says drive the car to clean the injectors, so what if i just rev the motor?

and what is WOT?!?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:03 PM
1993 5.0
2nd Gear Member

wot is wide open throttle, i have 108,000 on mine and just put some in this summer the break booster line is attached to the firewall driver side there is a vaccuume tree the one labeled B/B is your brake booster line pull that off start your car and dab it into the bottle and let it suck a 1/3 of the can, crankcase is where you put your oil in at.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:05 PM
1993 5.0
2nd Gear Member

I didn't see you have a 1995 so I don't know if the vaccum tree is in the same spot as a 1993 but look for a black plastic thing about 3"to 4" long with black rubber lines attached to it.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

107 ??? Shes still young, got plenty of life to er.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:14 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I've got a 1995. You can't miss it. Look at the firewall of the engine near the driver's side. You'll see a large black circle-shaped box and a large hose going into it. That hose attaches to a "tree" long the side of the engine bay. That is your brake booster. If you pull that off (from the booster side and not the tree side) then turn the engine on, you will feel a strong suction through teh hose. That is your brake booster line and that is what you want to use to suck up the seafoam. Just be careful not to do it too fast so that you don't stall the engine out.

When you put it in the vacuume line, that is what causes the smoke. As far as cleaning the injectors...that happens when you put it in your gas tank and that will not cause smoke.

As stated above... the crankcase is where you put your oil. Just act as though you're putting in normal oil. That will also not smoke.

Also as stated above, WOT = wide open throttle = full throttle. In other words floor it! You will be okay if you rev the motor, you just wont be able to hold WOT for very long because you will be hit the rev limiter WAY too fast. That's why it may be better to drive a little so you can hold the pedal down for a few seconds.

Quick Reply: give me some pointers on this sea foam!