5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fox body/LS1 conversion..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 06:37 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Fox body/LS1 conversion..

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

how much would something like that cost? like motor trans and wiring harness? and then what about the clutch set up would it all be chevy or ford? and then what about the driveshaft and various mounts? are they any kits for a swap like this?
What you need to do is find a wrecked fbody and get everything from it. Or start looking around the fbody sites. The trans would need the GM hydrolic set up, but reccomend going with the auto 4L60E and a big torque converter, the car WILL be faster this way and it's and easy swap. Trans mount you would have to fab up and the driveshaft would need to be shortened/lenghtned as needed and a new u-joint added to the back, any driveline shop shop be able to do this for you. There are no kits for this so there will be some custom fab work involved.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:43 PM
MustangMadness7
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

ORIGINAL: JD1969

I am willing to bet that you will not get flamed on LS1tech about this subject.
I'll take that bet!!!
Yea, you probly will get flamed somewhat, but go to their Conversions and Hybrids section. The guys in their know what theyr doing, i read their posts all the time.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:25 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

i have a 347 stroker with a crap load of money in it and i am hoping to be at a STOCK thats right i said it i am hoping to me at a STOCK ls1's hp.
no offense, but if you're hoping to put out 290-295rwhp out of a built 347 with a crapload of money in it... there's a problem right there. most people put that out with an H/C/I 302.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:46 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

i have a 347 stroker with a crap load of money in it and i am hoping to be at a STOCK thats right i said it i am hoping to me at a STOCK ls1's hp.
no offense, but if you're hoping to put out 290-295rwhp out of a built 347 with a crapload of money in it... there's a problem right there. most people put that out with an H/C/I 302.
Yep.....I can do that with Nitrous.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

for my conversion i know a guy that will make me a standalone harness from a actual harness. then all youll need is 3 wires to fire the LS1 in any chassis. how do you think i did the LS1 in the 240? so for 500 bucks you have a harness that only takes 3 wires and then the rest can be for gauges and etc....very simple plug and play

for the drop out and modified harness about 3000 to about 5000 depending on the combo that includes the trans depending on T56 or 4L60e, accessories and etc. everything you need to do the swap

and for that price you dont really get much of a stang. granted you can make some power then you need a trans that will hold the power then honestly the 302 block isnt that strong so now you got a weak point.

plus its very very very easy to see 30mpg out of a ls1. buddy went 12.8 consistant with nothing more then a SLP SS with my own custom tune with full leather and etc, sway bar connected and got 30mpg with the A/C on.

now you can say you can make a 302 into something strong yes you can. youre not tellin gme nothing i dont know but for the price its not worth it.

now if you wanted to put a joke SBC in it i would laugh but LSX anything is pimp plus you get a motor that doesnt weight much. its about 200lbs lighter then your typical 302 motor
Old 10-21-2006, 11:08 PM
HotWheels347

allright!!! everybody put down the wrench!!! ...this just in "it is not worth it to mod your 302!!" everybody go out and get yourself an LSX motor!!.... never mind that a 1500$ H/C/I and 2000$ S/C set-up with 1000$ in supporting mods will get you over 500rwhp, that's just weak and too costly.... get a 5k headache LS1 swap instead and put out 300rwhp!!! it's much better!!!

thank you Quik for showing us the way
Old 10-21-2006, 11:10 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HotWheels347

allright!!! everybody put down the wrench!!! ...this just in "it is not worth it to mod your 302!!" everybody go out and get yourself an LSX motor!!.... never mind that a 1500$ H/C/I and 2000$ S/C set-up with 1000$ in supporting mods will get you over 500rwhp, that's just weak and too costly.... get a 5k headache LS1 swap instead and put out 300rwhp!!! it's much better!!!

Oh great...........(reaches over and puts on the armor) the war is about to begin.....brace yourselves.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

dude dont even start.. if you can make 500rwhp from a 302!! ill reinburse you if you have all reciepts. the key is it has to be NA and last for atleast 5k in miles.

you do know that around mid 4xx the block likes to spilt dont ya?

you have no idea who your talking to and lets not make this a pissing match...im not really in the mood to school ya tonight
Old 10-21-2006, 11:27 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

dude dont even start.. if you can make 500rwhp from a 302!! ill reinburse you if you have all reciepts. the key is it has to be NA and last for atleast 5k in miles.

you have no idea who your talking to and lets not make this a pissing match...im not really in the mood to school ya tonight
Not true. I have seen many setups with 500+ HP on a stock block. Nitrous, NA, and FI cars. The key to not splitting the block is, keeping the rpm's under 6K.

My friends Turboed 342 put out 575 hp at 5800 rpm. It saw many many many track and street passes. Also won the FFFD in Fontana in 2003. What killed that motor was a bent crank. And that was over a year of thrashing it.

Sure the LS1 motor is better. It is about 13 years newer techonolgy and bigger displacement. However I can take my stock 302 and put 500 dollars in it and break off an LS1 anyday of the week with a 17 year old, 120,000 mile, smaller displacement, older technology motor.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:38 PM
HotWheels347

ORIGINAL: Quik

LMAO!! please do "school me" professor... i guess you're not aware that there was an invention called a "girdle" that keeps the block from splitting and many people have seen their 302s last long and strong for years pushing over 500rwhp. but whatever guy, if you're "not in the mood" than thanks for stopping by.

Quick Reply: Fox body/LS1 conversion..