5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

still have a whistle, but now heres a video

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: still have a whistle, but now heres a video

Also, I would still try the tube method. I've used stethoscopes before to try to locate vacuum leaks on motorcycles before, and have found that a tube works better. Give it a shot, since you already know the general area of the noise.

By the way, it does sound more like a bearing than a vacuum leak. As loud as that whistle is, the tube should tell you, regardless of where it is. Stethoscopes are great for listening inside of some metal casing, but not as good for picking up sounds from the air...for what it's worth. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

ORIGINAL: tuff5liter

This may or may not help you pinpoint where the leak is: Try getting a long length of tube. Put one end in your ear (but not far enough that the sound hurts your ear), and stick the other end into various areas of the intake, engine and vacuum fittings. When the tube passes over the spot that's making the noise, you should be able to hear it. Again, make sure you don't hurt your ears.
i have a stethescope (sp?) the actual sound from the whistle is coming from the center of runners on the right side (facing the car). know what i mean? But i think thats from the direction of the runners. Ok maybe this will help, with a stehescope ( sp? again) if you follow the air from the throttle body (assuming you can see the air flowing through the upper plenum), as soon as it gets to the far right of the intake, just before it starts moving down to the lower intake, thats where the noise is. Make sense??
I understand what you are saying, but have no idea what would cause that. Have you tried soaking the seams of your intakes with carb cleaner or something, and seeing if it changes your idle. By the way, how does the car idle? Does the idle ever jump up and down by itself?

cold idle its fine.....around 800, then once it warms up it starts getting erratic(from 700 - 1000), thats why i took off the iac and egr and cleaned them thinking they were the culprits.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Also, if you do try the tube method, I've found that for some reason, smaller diameter tube works better than large diameter tube. That clear tubing that fits on brake bleed nipples seems to work the best. Go figure.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Did you lose any noticable power when the problem started ?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:27 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

Also, I would still try the tube method. I've used stethoscopes before to try to locate vacuum leaks on motorcycles before, and have found that a tube works better. Give it a shot, since you already know the general area of the noise.

By the way, it does sound more like a bearing than a vacuum leak. As loud as that whistle is, the tube should tell you, regardless of where it is. Stethoscopes are great for listening inside of some metal casing, but not as good for picking up sounds from the air...for what it's worth. Good luck.
i put the stethescope to the oil pan thinking MAYBE it might be a bearing, but you cant hear anything from that end, so i am pretty sure its not a bearing.

whenever i used the stethescope i used the tube end without the prong, it was just a rubber tube.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:28 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ninety5five0

Did you lose any noticable power when the problem started ?
not at all, i ripped apart a marauder last night. :-) Runs decent cept for the erratic idle, and it tends to get warmer since it has a vacuum leak.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tuff5liter

i put the stethescope to the oil pan thinking MAYBE it might be a bearing, but you cant hear anything from that end, so i am pretty sure its not a bearing.

whenever i used the stethescope i used the tube end without the prong, it was just a rubber tube.
Gotcha! It does sound like a bearing, but not an internal one...at least to me. It sounds like a accessory bearing or something.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:29 PM
house302
2nd Gear Member

does anyone else notice the white thing on the vacuum tree it looks like there is a line unhooked to me. hey man if you figure out that noise let me know i have the same exact noise but mine does it after i have been driving for a while and i have been starting and turning it off alot otherwise i dont notice and my idle doesnt change and i dont notice any power loss.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:32 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Take it to a shop with a smoke machine and they will find the leak in 10 minutes. They'll probably charge you an hours labor but then you don't have to dick around w/ carb cleaner anymore.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:39 PM
XSRACINGGT
3rd Gear Member

I have the same whistle, just not as loud. What it is is the bolts that hold down your upper intake that go right through the center of the intake. When the air goes by the bolts, a whistleing sound occurs. If you put a stock throttle body on it stops, because of the loss in velocity, and volume of air going by the bolts. I tried that and thats how I found out. Along with the guy from my dyno shp who tuned my car.

Quick Reply: still have a whistle, but now heres a video