5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

still have a whistle, but now heres a video

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:38 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: still have a whistle, but now heres a video

Is your car an auto or manual? If a manual, it could be the pilot bearing or throwout bearing, since it is coming from the rear of the engine, don't forget what's connected to the rear of the engine. & that noise does sound like a metal/metal contact.

The tb has my 2nd vote

Does the noise get louder & more frequent when you rev the engine or go away? & if 5speed what about if the clutch is in/out, does that change the noise any? You could check to see if it's the tb by just barely holding it open a little more than it is now i'm talking about VERY little to see if there is a change in the pitch of the sound or if it goes away. A bearing noise shouldn't go away over a 400rpm difference, an airflow one could.

But before drilling a hole in your tb, start it & while it's cold (so you don't burn your hand) run your hand under the intake feeling the vacuum lines & where they connect to the intake, then follow them the other way. If one of them is the cause, you should be able to hear the noise get a little quieter if not stop.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:47 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

itll stop at a lil higher RPM, car can idle around 850 and its gone at 1100, as for the clutch it doesnt matter if its pushed in or out its still makes the noise, and the noise is only at idle.

ran my hand across every single vacuum hose on the damn motor.....lol in fact i ran NEW vacuum lines everywhere on the car.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:05 AM
BmX
1st Gear Member

sounds like a damn smoke detector [:@]
Old 10-23-2006, 03:41 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

How long have you been driving the car with the noise doing that?

Sounds like air traveling by something is the cause, but the question is... by what. I think it would be the tb, but I don't want you to destroy your tb plate if that isn't the cause of it. & another odd thing is how it keeps going away, then coming back, over & over.

BTW, what's up with your gauges. Where did you get them or what set did you use to make them?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Someone (sorry, but I don't remember who) suggested that you take your belt off, to rule out your accessories. That's the best suggestion I've heard yet. I would try that first. Good thinking, whoever that was.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:29 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

Sounds like air traveling by something is the cause, but the question is... by what. I think it would be the tb, but I don't want you to destroy your tb plate if that isn't the cause of it. & another odd thing is how it keeps going away, then coming back, over & over.

BTW, what's up with your gauges. Where did you get them or what set did you use to make them?

been driving the car like that for about 3 weeks. There is not a loss in power, or anything abnormal. if i do drill the hole in the throttle body i could always use the set screw on the TB to turn the idle down a little bit. Tomorrow at work I am going to put the smoke machine on it to make sure if there is or isnt a vac leak. Ill just put the smoke machine in the vac hose going to the break booster and let it go through the system that way. The fact it goes away and comes back over and over is what makes me think its the TB, that and the fact that it goes away directly after idle. I can revv the car to 1000 or 1100 RPMs and its gone. Like the plate is opening and giving it the extra breathing room (that the hole would allow) to suck in air.

the gauges are made from nordskog performance, they work well, and about a month after ibought these they came out with the blue version (which is what i want), but i dont want to spend the $500 on those just to change the colors. heres the link to the site, but i bought mine from a advertiser in mm&ff. it was a lil 2" x 1" ad in the magazine.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:32 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Someone (sorry, but I don't remember who) suggested that you take your belt off, to rule out your accessories. That's the best suggestion I've heard yet. I would try that first. Good thinking, whoever that was.
ill try that tomorrow at work during my lunch break as well. good lookin out. i dont really see how it could be an accessory being that its loudest coming from the back of the engine bay, not the front. But will try it anyhow to eliminate that.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:19 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

what kind of instrument cluster is that?
Old 10-23-2006, 06:45 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tuff5liter

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

been driving the car like that for about 3 weeks. There is not a loss in power, or anything abnormal. if i do drill the hole in the throttle body i could always use the set screw on the TB to turn the idle down a little bit. Tomorrow at work I am going to put the smoke machine on it to make sure if there is or isnt a vac leak. Ill just put the smoke machine in the vac hose going to the break booster and let it go through the system that way. The fact it goes away and comes back over and over is what makes me think its the TB, that and the fact that it goes away directly after idle. I can revv the car to 1000 or 1100 RPMs and its gone. Like the plate is opening and giving it the extra breathing room (that the hole would allow) to suck in air.

the gauges are made from nordskog performance, they work well, and about a month after ibought these they came out with the blue version (which is what i want), but i dont want to spend the $500 on those just to change the colors. heres the link to the site, but i bought mine from a advertiser in mm&ff. it was a lil 2" x 1" ad in the magazine.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:47 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

drilled a hole in the TB butterfly, still have a whistle. But now theres a hole too. I hooked a smoke machine up to the vacuum lines and the only place smoke came out of was the air filter and the evap vent.......

I dont know what else to do......anyone have an idea??

Quick Reply: still have a whistle, but now heres a video