5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ok everyone, I need opinions please, daughter wants a Camero

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default Ok everyone, I need opinions please, daughter wants a Camero

Ok, this may be a bit lengthy, so please bear with me. My first ex called me, and my daughter has found a 94 Camero, with the LT1. This car is owned by a relative of my ex wife, and has been sitting for about 2 years. They think it needed a starter when it was parked, and it had an oil leak as well. I am going to look at the car tomorrow, and I know it has a leather interior, and all power options. They are asking 1500.00. Questions: I know nothing about Camero's, but I am willing to learn. My daugter is 15 and it will be another year before she can drive, so I have all the time in world to work on it. If the oil leak is not the rear seal, I can fix it. I can replace the starter, and do whatever else needs cosmetic wise. Is this a good deal? I am going to check on engine rebuild kits, JIC. We are going to keep the car in my garage, which will surely **** off my Mustang, but what do you do?
I have looked for a Mustang similar to mine in my area, but I cant afford to spend much right now, and buying this car will break my savings. I appreciate any comments or ideas, because my daughter is really excited, and this is something that she and I can do together.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:16 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Ok everyone, I need opinions please, daughter wants a Camero

buy her a mustang and be done with it, no way my daughter is driving a chevy
Old 10-28-2006, 10:19 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Heres a bright idea.... give an immature kid a car with 300rwhp(estimation only) when she has no real word experience..

just buy her a cavalier and be done with it.... youll save on the insurance too. AND she'll be able to afford the gas
Old 10-28-2006, 10:19 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

It doedn't sound like too bad a deal. Seems like alot of power for a first time driver. If it is the rear main seal leaking they are external one piece seals like the 5.0's.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:20 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

if all looks well i would say go for it. My brother jsut got a 95 trans am with the same motor and i hate to say but i love it. 1500 is not bad at all. Its fun to have someone to do car stuff with also. Good luck, and watch out, those things are slugs!!
Old 10-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Oh man, thats gotta be a tough decision. I'd go check it out really really good. But dont you think a lt1 is a bit much of a motor for a brandnew driver ? and gas mileage isnt gonna be too great either. Maybe check out some camaro forums to see what htey say, i personally know nothing about LT1's.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

V6 Slomaro would be better. Noob drivers don't need that much power at their disposal.... IMHO.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
ridebmx4140
1st Gear Member

like everyone else said, i wouldnt give a car w/ that much power to a 16 y/o, especially a girl. no offence to your daughter or anything but im 18 and i still feel uncomfortable when im in a car and a girl my age is driving.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:32 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

We almost bought a 90 LX 5.0, till the guy sold it out from under us, so I dont really see the diff between buying her a performance car. She has a good head on her, and I am not going to be modding this car so I make it run better than it already should. In fact, I was hoping I could tune it to not run so hard. I just dont want to get ripped on the deal.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:32 PM
jaznasy69
2nd Gear Member

Get her a Shes a noob so get her a yugo that will keep the fox happy and gives her something to fix all the time while she is learning to drive..

Quick Reply: Ok everyone, I need opinions please, daughter wants a Camero