5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Head Gaskets...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:24 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Head Gaskets...

I would have the heads o-ringed
Old 10-30-2006, 05:28 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

I would have the heads o-ringed
That's another thing I gave some serious consideration to. But wasn't sure if it was worth it. For some of the heads I was looking at, it's only about an extra $100 or so for both heads. I've never seen a set of o-ringed heads so it would be a first for me. Not sure I'm comfortable enough to do it myself the firs ttime around. Or is it really that simple?

I was also under the impression that you had to grove the block as well to accept the o-rings. That's the part I was afraid of.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:31 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

have a machinist o-ring the heads..not a do-it -yourself thing
Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

have a machinist o-ring the heads..not a do-it -yourself thing
The heads I was looking at were already o-ringed. I was looking at this set here. But I thought the block itself had to be o-ringed as well. That's why I stayed away from those heads....thought both needed to be grooved.

So you can o-ring the heads and not have to worry about the block?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

TTT I really want to know the answer to that question too.

Also, I guess Im just going to wait and get heads now before I install my u/l manifold, tb, vc's, etc. Geeze........ just MORE waiting! LOL
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

you can do either or both
Old 10-31-2006, 12:25 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Ohhhh Ok. Thanks 2kwik. Also, is it worth it to have the heads o ringed if you are just going to have them done and not the block? I will be running approx. 10 psi with my setup I am working on and I just want it to be realiable but to be totally honest, Im really not trying to have the block o ringed.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 PM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

It's not so much the head gaskets, but rather the tune. Specifically, A/F ratio.
Most of the aftermarket head gaskets will work and is certainly a good replacement over stock. One of the differences is compressed thickness that has an impact on final compression ratio. So consider this in your combo. The head gasket is your fuse. Muli-layer, copper and o-ringed gaskets will certainly hold up "longer" to detonation, but if the tune is off they too will let go or other rotating parts. I've seen bent rods and broken pistons with head gaskets intact. Keep your A/F in check.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:07 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

if the block isn't machined to accept the o ring and the compression force needed to seat/seal the o ring, how does it work? is this similar to piston rings on cylinder walls? i assume it is, but we use alot of o rings at work for medical devices and all our metal parts that use o rings have seating/compression tolerances designed into them, that may be just for a factor of safety though. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:39 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JeffUtica

It's not so much the head gaskets, but rather the tune. Specifically, A/F ratio.
Most of the aftermarket head gaskets will work and is certainly a good replacement over stock. One of the differences is compressed thickness that has an impact on final compression ratio. So consider this in your combo. The head gasket is your fuse. Muli-layer, copper and o-ringed gaskets will certainly hold up "longer" to detonation, but if the tune is off they too will let go or other rotating parts. I've seen bent rods and broken pistons with head gaskets intact. Keep your A/F in check.
Well, the day I get my blower and get it installed I will get it tuned... along with hooking up an autometer A/F gauge....

Quick Reply: Head Gaskets...