5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Not running on left bank

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 AM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Not running on left bank

So I finally got this engine in the car and ready to start last night. Get it running and its not running on the passenger side bank at all(1,2,3,4) they have spark and I swapped the plugs around(thought I may have gotten a bad box). When I pull the plugs out, they are dry, so I would say they arent getting any fuel. This is by far not my first engine install(2nd one in this car alone) but I'm kind of stumped.

anyone had this problem before?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:36 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Not running on left bank

Do a compression test. Maybe the gasket got messed up.
-P.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:44 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Did you run it at all before installing it in the car? Jut curious if it just happened during hte install or if it could have happened before but was never noticed because it was never started. If it's not getting any fuel on the entire bank, did you check the fuel rail and injectors to make sure something isn't screwed up? How is the fuel pressure on both sides? Normally I would go with a bad gasket, or cracked head (meaning no compression) but if it's not getting any fuel at all.....
Old 10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

The schrader valve is on that side too, so that should make it relatively easy to see if fuel is getting to the rail properly. If it is, then may be worth it to check your injectors and make sure everything is hooked up properly. It's easy to overlook small things or seemingly simple things like that when working on larger projects.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:47 AM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

I did a compression check(failed to mention that before) I'm running the same fuel rail off the other motor, but the fuel injectors from this motor(updated 19#ers) I cant imagine that 4 injectors are bad and all on one bank, but anything is possible.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:48 AM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

I didnt check the fuel pressure because the other side was running fine, but I didnt think about the valve being on that side... worth looking into.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I know, I wouldn't think all four would fail, that's why I was thinking either a connection problem (unlikely to forget to connect all four, but possible.) And I was thinking fuel starvation. That's why I figured you could hook a gauge up to the schrader valve and see what's going on there.

Or maybe it really is just a warped head, cracked head, or bad gasket.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:51 AM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Or maybe it really is just a warped head, cracked head, or bad gasket.

If thats the case than a compression check would have shown it

And I did make sure the plugs were on the injectors. This has been driving me crazy since yesterday evening. I even dreamed about it last night haha
Old 10-31-2006, 11:53 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yeah, compression would have shown that. I missed that post when I was typing the other response
Old 10-31-2006, 12:24 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

What were your compression readings? Just curious. Im with sam on this one, its gotta be something with your fuel supply to that bank of cylinders, heres what Id try, no fancy tools required. Unbolt the fuel rail, pull the injectors out with the fuel rail (if at all possible), get yourself 4 plastic bottles, tape em to the injectors (so the fuel goes into the bottle and not all over the damn place), and crank er over, then youll be able to see if youre getting fuel.
-P.

Quick Reply: Not running on left bank