5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

check engine light question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:00 PM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

Default check engine light question

the check engine light came on on my 94 gt vert today and it started acting weird so i went and i had the codes read and these were the ones that showed up

157- mass air flow sensor below min voltage

158- mass air flow sensor above max voltage

211- Profile Ignition Pick-up circuit fault

332-Insufficient EGR valve opening detected

the guys who checked them said that they may all be linked to one source
so i checked them out i just had a new mass air flow sensor put on the car like 2 months ago so i dont think that those are correct codes.

the 211 code is the one im concerned about because my stang has been giving me problems starting and i cant figure out why so maybe this will tell me

and lastly the egr valve seems to be leaking it is leaving a water stain on my valve covers so i guess it just needs to be replaced

if anyone can give me any help or advice on my codes and what you think might be causing them it would be greatly appriciated

thanks in advance
randall
Old 11-10-2006, 09:05 PM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: check engine light question

no one
Old 11-10-2006, 09:24 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you might need to drop a new PIP into your distributor. Its not that hard, and not very expensive. As far as the MAF codes go.... it just sounds like its bad. I would fix the PIP code 211 first and see what happens from there
Old 11-10-2006, 09:28 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

ok, first clean you maf it may have oil residue from your filter...after that reset codes
Old 11-18-2006, 02:19 AM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

how would you recomend i clean my maf? with like carb cleaner or something? i have never cleaned a maf before.

as far as the 211 goes im not sure of what is causing this because i have a new module, cap, rotor, coil, plugs, and plug wires any one have any ideas i need help!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:39 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: black_pearl_gt

how would you recomend i clean my maf? with like carb cleaner or something? i have never cleaned a maf before.

as far as the 211 goes im not sure of what is causing this because i have a new module, cap, rotor, coil, plugs, and plug wires any one have any ideas i need help!
I've used carb cleaner, but I think electrical contact cleaner and a gentle Q-tip hand might be better.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:42 AM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

thanks many any idea on the ignition fault
Old 11-18-2006, 09:29 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

code 211: profile Ignition Pickup failure

your distributor needs to be rebuild
Old 11-18-2006, 01:06 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Don't bother cleaning your maf. Those are circuit codes and are very likely not the result of some sort of contamination....
The PIP signal is generated by the pickup coil in your distrubutor. It is not difficult to replace. Honestly you are best off buying a new distributor or rebuilding the one you have from top to bottom. I have a 90 and a 93 wiring diagram but not with me at the moment.... looking at something similar (95 bronco) it does not appear that the MAF shares any circuits or connectors with the pickup coil. They do travel through the same harness, so you may have a chaffing issue. You want 6v at pin 56 when cranking (for PIP). It is a grey and orange wire. If you don't have PIP, the PCM will not be able to provide injector pulse. If you have spark (it should start on ether), the PIP is getting to the ignition module but not the PCM, so you would have a wiring issue between the pickup coil and PCM (this signal wire comes out of the distributor and splits. Otherwise if you don't have spark, it is likely not coming out of the distibutor. One wire goes to the ignition module, the other to pin 56 at the PCM). I will look at the right diagram when I get home and try to help out some more. YOU VERY LIKELY HAVE A WIRING ISSUE.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:54 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Don't bother cleaning your maf. Those are circuit codes and are very likely not the result of some sort of contamination....
The PIP signal is generated by the pickup coil in your distrubutor. It is not difficult to replace. Honestly you are best off buying a new distributor or rebuilding the one you have from top to bottom. I have a 90 and a 93 wiring diagram but not with me at the moment.... looking at something similar (95 bronco) it does not appear that the MAF shares any circuits or connectors with the pickup coil. They do travel through the same harness, so you may have a chaffing issue. You want 6v at pin 56 when cranking (for PIP). It is a grey and orange wire. If you don't have PIP, the PCM will not be able to provide injector pulse. If you have spark (it should start on ether), the PIP is getting to the ignition module but not the PCM, so you would have a wiring issue between the pickup coil and PCM (this signal wire comes out of the distributor and splits. Otherwise if you don't have spark, it is likely not coming out of the distibutor. One wire goes to the ignition module, the other to pin 56 at the PCM). I will look at the right diagram when I get home and try to help out some more. YOU VERY LIKELY HAVE A WIRING ISSUE.
WOW guy... talk about an informative post.... glad your here!

Quick Reply: check engine light question