5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Setting Timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 11:49 PM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

Default Setting Timing

I finally got a timing light (my girlfriend found one when she was cleaning out her garage) so now i want to bump up my timing a bit. or at least see what it is set at. I know its been asked a lot, but what are the steps to setting your timing? Ive never done it before.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:22 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Setting Timing

ok u start the car, attakch the timing light to the #1 spark plug wire( 1st cylinder on the left whil looking from the front of the engine back) then u have to remover the spout connector, it a little gray thing that plugs into a small hraness, its located just to the left of the distributor, then loosen the clamp holding the distributo and move it a little until u get the setting u want, then u tighten it down and check ur timing to make sure the distributor didnt move whil tightening it down. then plug the spout connector back in. it also depends what kind of fuel u are running, if ur running 89 then done advance it, if ur running 91 dont go any more than 12 degrees if that. if ur running 92 or hiher than u can tke it up to 14, in my opinion i wouldnt go anymore than 13. and make sure when u look at the balancer and see that u are on the btdc (before top dead center) and not the atdc ( after top dead center). u willn see it will be on the right side when u look at it for the 1st time. it should be at 10 or very close to that. oh and when u look at the pinter above the balancer, stand on the left side of the car,( when u are standing in the front of the car looking towards the back, the left side) oh and in case u are wondering the spuot connector is what allows the computer to advance or retard the timing. with it in there is no possible way u can set the timing, its just like a vaccum advance on a carberated enging, u have to unplug the hose to set the ting, this is the same thing, well hope this helps man, good luck
Old 08-16-2004, 03:59 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

yeah thanks bobby this helps a lot. I was just about to make another post about where the spout connector is because i have the repair manual for my car but its very vague and doesnt even say where it is. So, thanks again bobby!
Old 08-16-2004, 04:05 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

np man, glad i could hhelp!!! ya its gray u will find it just to the right of the distributor, its small and its like a little chip, just pull it out
Old 08-16-2004, 04:27 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

Okay, is the spout connector to the right or left? in your first post you said left and now you said right. Not trying to be an *** about it, but i just cant seem to find it. Is it actually on the distributor?
Old 08-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Supercharged86

Sorry, but the procedure for properly setting the timing is to remove the timing spout with the engine OFF, then start the car. It will run very poorly and it might even require several crank cycles to get it fired.

The timing spout is located at the end of the distributor module wiring harness, should be just hanging there.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:41 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Everybody has their own method for doing this, so I'll share mine also.
1-bump the engine with the starter until you can see the timing marks on the damper pulley, it's easier to do this by placing the marks on the bottom where you can see them laying on your back. use a rag and some solvent cleaner to clean off the marks so that you can see them clearly with the engine running. use something light in color like "White Out" to make a thin mark at 10 degrees BTDC
2-find the timing pointer and clean it off good also, usually it will be dirty with grease or oil etc.
3-connect the timing light to the #1 spark plug wire and also the battery if necessary with the engine off and make sure the wires are positioned out of the way of any moving engine parts like the fan and belt and also away from the exhaust manifold so you don't burn the wire on the #1 plug wire
4-find the spout connector hanging from the wiring harness on the right hand side of the distributor, don't remove it yet, just make sure you know what and where it is. you can unplug it to see how much effort it takes to do so but plug it back in for now
5-start the engine and let it come up to normal operating temperature and idle rpm< 800 or so
6-test the timing light to see if you can see the marks or not to make sure the light is working OK
7-now carefully disconnect the spout connector making sure to keep your hands clear of the belt and fan, the engine rpms will probably drop off some but don't worry as long as it is idling steady
8-now look at the timing marks to see where the pointer is relative to the marks and the mark you made at 10 BTDC
9-if necessary, use a wrench to loosen the distributor hold down bolt just enough so that you can rotate the distributor, watch your hands around the moving stuff
10-slowly move the distributor while watching the timing marks until they line up at 10 BTDC or wherever you want them to be
11-tighten up the hold down bolt and recheck the timing marks to make sure the distributor stayed where you set it
12-if the marks are still in the correct place, reinstall the spout connector and then watch the marks with the light while you rev the engine a little bit, they should move to advance the timing as the engine speed is increased
13-shut off the engine and remove the timing light wiring
14-if you still have all your fingers left and are not bleeding severely (just j/k), take the car out for a test drive and see if it pings, if so, go back and lower the timing some. if not, you can go back and advance the timing some if you want to until the engine just starts to ping under load, then lower the timing 1 degree from where it's at and you should be good to go.
Seriously, be careful doing this so you don't hurt yourself, pay attention to what you're doing with the engine running!
Old 08-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Supercharged86

"Everybody has there own method of doing this", yeah, and so far none of you are doing it right. The spout comes out with the engine OFF, then you time it, shut it down, replace the spout. End of story.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:36 PM
thelast50ho
2nd Gear Member

Yea, and if the balancer is rusty start the engine and lay under the car with a wire brush and hold it on the balancer while it running. You'll be able to see the marks real good after that.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:19 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

ok supercharged you are WRONG!!! it doesant make any difference if the engine is running or not when u remove or install the spout connector, trust me dude!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Setting Timing