5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Carbon Fiber hood GIVES you HP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 04:00 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Carbon Fiber hood GIVES you HP!

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt

you guys are just retarded, everyone knows that carbon fiber hoods give abooout a 5% increase in horsepower and a 7% increase in torque. this is because of the fact that it takes weight of the front end, and also reduces drag. this in turn reduces the load put on the wheels and in turn the engine and its rotating assembly. any reduction of weight in the rotating assembly and reduced drag upon the engine allows it to operate more efficiently, giving it more power.

so basicly the rotating mass is reduced, giving it more power. also another advantage is it allows the car to rev faster, much like an aluminum driveshaft or aluminum flywheel.
it has nothing to do with rotating mass...HP to weight ratio, yes, but not rotating mass. a driveshaft and flywheel help rotating mass, not lighter body panels. the car may "feel" like it has more power because its lighter, but trust me, putting a hood on your car isnt going to affect a dyno run.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:03 PM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

yea i was going to say the same thing but I wasnt sure if he was kidding....lol
Old 11-13-2006, 04:05 PM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

GreenHornet92 yea I know, but I did tell him theres no way it gives you hp but it may make you a little faster being its lighter.
and its 89GTRed
Old 11-13-2006, 04:11 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

you guys are just retarded, everyone knows that carbon fiber hoods give abooout a 5% increase in horsepower and a 7% increase in torque. this is because of the fact that it takes weight of the front end, and also reduces drag. this in turn reduces the load put on the wheels and in turn the engine and its rotating assembly. any reduction of weight in the rotating assembly and reduced drag upon the engine allows it to operate more efficiently, giving it more power.

so basicly the rotating mass is reduced, giving it more power. also another advantage is it allows the car to rev faster, much like an aluminum driveshaft or aluminum flywheel.
will this show up on a dyno?
of course it will show up on a dyno

heres the proof

[IMG]local://upfiles/51223/640C6093211D43A680B1434B9E37010C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-13-2006, 04:17 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

With less weight, you will see an increase in the rate at which work can be performed because less force is required to displace the object over a given distance. So less work is required to move the vehicle, however; horsepower is the calculation of the rate at which work can be performed, work/time=(force x distance)/time, so the hp may increase insignificantly (not 5%). I did a basic calculation and say the car (3200lbs) saves 200lbs and saves 3/10 on the qtr mile(goes from a 14sec to 13.7sec), the hp gain is 4.32%, and those numbers are not very practical. I could talk about this forever but heres a good article that shows how torque and hp relate to eachother and power. http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhorsepower.html
Old 11-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

of course it will shop up on a dyno

heres the proof

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 11-13-2006, 05:14 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

of course it will shop up on a dyno

heres the proof

I need to get a carbon fiber hood, those numbers are insane!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:14 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

i could probably run -13's in the 1/4 mile with a that hood
Old 11-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Pabradford

Actually carbon fiber does make your car car run faster. The secret?...weight reduction, not the hood; but your wallet...lol...

Old 11-13-2006, 06:18 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Am I the only person here who thinks that that dyno sheet was completely fake? I mean, who would seriously believe that a stock import would even have enough HP to spin the drums on the dyno to begin with?

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber hood GIVES you HP!