5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oil Leak from head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:15 PM
eugene11

Default Oil Leak from head gasket

The story......Vortec supercharger with 12psi pully on a 347 stroker plus msd 6btm and some bad *** fuel system and a really cool adjustable regulator. Heads and block were mated by a reputable mechine shop. I installed everything else including putting motor in car. The oil leak occurs only on the left outside headgasket between cylinders #7 and 8. Also leak only occurs under boost. So far i have only seen 6psi on a vacuum gauge but that isnt full throttle or up to 6200 rpm. My question is two part.... i think. Anyway could the pvc valve be letting boost into the crank case and there for blowing it out the gasket that is either defective or loose. Im thinking about r&r the pvc and then retorquing all the head bolts one at a time. ( Loosen one then retighten it). Next question is how much torque should i give it. And the final question is should i just roll it back to the guy that put the heads on and let him mess with it.
This has been quit an ordeal ( im not the owner just the mechanic. 6 years experience but first major upgrades to a fast car and first time on a mustang. My friend is the owner.) It runs real good and breaks the tires loose in 3rd gear. seems to have a lot of punch for only about 3/4 throttle. If I can get this oil leak fixed tomm. then to the dyno it goes. Thanks for any help and ideas yall have.
rick
Old 12-01-2006, 10:02 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Leak from head gasket

If you are running a pcv valve you should have a check valve in the line. The oil could be blowing out of the dipstick tube or valve cover. If the head gasket was leaking you would be seeing antifreeze not oil.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

hmm thats a hard one i would say roll it back to the guy that put the heads on the engine
Old 12-01-2006, 10:19 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Like 454 said, if it hasn't pushed the dipstick out, it is surely not pushing past the head gasket. BTW, ditch pcv all together. Let it vent brother. Conventional PCV does not work on forced induction. If you really want to get fancy, make your own catch can system using the sweet glass resevoir for cobras and lightnings. They make kits like this because the crazy pcv system made for those vehicles is even worthless
Torque the heads as much as the bolts used call for. They are the limiting factor. Get ARP's and torque to factory spec. I know a few guys who go an extra 10-20 degrees.....but.....who knows if this gives any real benefit.
Definately at least mention it to the guy. He did assemble the darn thing.

WAIT A MINUTE....... ITS A PUSHROD MOTOR! THERE IS NO HIGH PRESSURE OIL GOING THROUGH THOSE HEADS! ITS ALL THROUGH THE PUSHRODS! - and there is no freaking way you can have oil leaking through a pushrod AND a headgasket.

Your'e missing something bro. It's not leaking from a headgasket I freaking guarentee it. Valvecover perhaps?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:00 PM
eugene11

WAIT A MINUTE....... ITS A PUSHROD MOTOR! THERE IS NO HIGH PRESSURE OIL GOING THROUGH THOSE HEADS! ITS ALL THROUGH THE PUSHRODS! - and there is no freaking way you can have oil leaking through a pushrod AND a headgasket.
I knew that there was a reason i came here. I didnt know that. I work on those funny japanese cars. This is a whole nother animal. That makes me feel better.

Ok there is no check valve and you and 454 are right there really is no need for the pcv. I'll look into the catch can idea. my guess is that it is coming from both the vavle cover and dipstick tube. I'll go check it out and let yall know what i find. Guys, thanks for the help. I almost pulled the head.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:29 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

LOL, yeah...you almost had me. I was thinking this was a trick question.....you know, find out how smart these guys are by asking a question like that....LOL
I know how it feels man. I am so used to messing with OHC engines that was about to say "....well I don't remember the 5.0 having oil leaks from the headgaskets......that was the 5.4......"

hmmmm. Let me see.........japanese cars.........head gasket oil leaks.......mechanic.......... Do you work at a Mitsubishi dealer? I know the eclipses had issues with head gasket leaks.

Yeah, just google "cobra oil seperator" and you should be able to find that glass deal. It's pretty sweet and should eliminate any oil consumption if drained regularly.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:38 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I know most guys using boost will run breathers on their valve covers and keep a pcv cus under half throttle, you aren't using boost.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

not true my 302 is leaking between the block and head as well. i am also blown i do not understand this ither.

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Like 454 said, if it hasn't pushed the dipstick out, it is surely not pushing past the head gasket. BTW, ditch pcv all together. Let it vent brother. Conventional PCV does not work on forced induction. If you really want to get fancy, make your own catch can system using the sweet glass resevoir for cobras and lightnings. They make kits like this because the crazy pcv system made for those vehicles is even worthless
Torque the heads as much as the bolts used call for. They are the limiting factor. Get ARP's and torque to factory spec. I know a few guys who go an extra 10-20 degrees.....but.....who knows if this gives any real benefit.

Your'e missing something bro. It's not leaking from a headgasket I freaking guarentee it. Valvecover perhaps?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:20 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

not true my 302 is leaking between the block and head as well. i am also blown i do not understand this ither.

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

It might be leaking but it's not oil. There are no oil passages that run between the block and heads, only coolant. It's more likley a valve cover of lower intake
Old 12-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

its no v/c i have checked.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak from head gasket